The white internet

Askew

Am I the only one who would love it if the whole internet's theme was dark instead of the white eye rape that's oddly enough the standard with our backlit monitors?

For now I only have Stylish for other sites and the dark theme for LTT created by @Gimbergsson
(linked below, I highly recommend it, it's excellent)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26562-a-dark-theme-for-linustechtips/

14v3chx.jpg

If there was a switch to flip and send the entire web into nightmode I'd be hitting that shit immediately, would you?

I agree with you. What would actually be a cooler idea is if the backgrounds changed between white and black like a slider effect depending on the lighting in your room. So it just autoamtically adjusted to your own personal prefrence of brightness.

I tried a chrome extension that was supposed to make everything white on black...Didnt work very well though.

I agree with you. What would actually be a cooler idea is if the backgrounds changed between white and black like a slider effect depending on the lighting in your room. So it just autoamtically adjusted to your own personal prefrence of brightness.

I tried a chrome extension that was supposed to make everything white on black...Didnt work very well though.

Your username is frighteningly timely and appropriate for this topic.

Your username is frighteningly timely and appropriate for this topic.

Lol, It stems from the problem of not being able to see very well during the day, as in its too bright. 

This topic in general is a really odd one. How is it that most sites on the internet are still in white backgrounds. The people who make these sites must use the internet themselves and they must find it hard to use at night.

On website where you can switch between a light and dark theme I don't usually change it to dark because it's horrible to look at most of the time.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

On website where you can switch between a light and dark theme I don't usually change it to dark because it's horrible to look at most of the time.

Like the night theme on LTT...lol. I liked how GIO implimented their day and night modes. They had a light switch type thing you could toggle at any time. I think a straight up inversion of colours could work better than full redesign of most sites colour layouts. Just for black and white though...colours might get a bit weird.

The reason why black isn't popular/white is dominant is because text is traditionally black, which "clashes" with black (hurr) and pretty much every other color in the spectrum, for lack of a better word. Black backgrounds are more dynamic but again, not the prettiest text. White text is really bad in my opinion, as is most other vibrant colors.

What they need to do is release a web browser that allows invisionboard-esque customization to all websites by just converting colors to something else. E.G. all blacks to white, all whites to black. It'd probably break some things on some sites and there'd definitely be problems with colors that aren't disctinctively a single color (like the "More Reply Options" button on these forums), but hey, it's better than 24/7 eyerape. At least give us the option to modify specific/favorite websites if not a global scheme converter or something.

Like the night theme on LTT...lol. I liked how GIO implimented their day and night modes. They had a light switch type thing you could toggle at any time. I think a straight up inversion of colours could work better than full redesign of most sites colour layouts. Just for black and white though...colours might get a bit weird.

I did not know this theme button existed. I love you.

I like black or dark greys for viewing pictures or video, but text is a nightmare for me on anything but white really.

inversion based on light, sort of auto brightness on phones

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

- snap -

Maybe adjust the brightness and contrast on you're screen when you're getting annoyed by the "whiteness".

Some monitors let you save configurations, that will help if yours can do that.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

I've added a link to the OP for the theme I use for LTT, it's great and I hear it beats out the regular night mode.

@Grave @Night

Oh my god this is amazing. Why is this not the default night theme?!

Oh my god this is amazing. Why is this not the default night theme?!

I have been using it since I found it months ago, I also donated the guy $5, it doesn't have white text, it's grey and doesn't glare from the background which is just darker grey.

It's magic, and it's what I dream the whole internet can one day look like.

Yeah first thing I do when I'm using IDEs to program is to change everything to a dark theme so my eyes don't get destroyed during late night programming.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

White power!!!!!!!!!

I think you've found the only place in existence where saying that is totally acceptable. ;)

I think you've found the only place in existence where saying that is totally acceptable. ;)

LOL

Can we just have a button like this at the top of the page to swap between day and night? and have it the same theme but a darker version? 

I really like the way GIO implimented it. www.gameinformer.com < if you want to go play with it and see how it works. THIS SWITCH...should be universal accross all webpages.

d7UN5OJ.png

Can we just have a button like this at the top of the page to swap between day and night? and have it the same theme but a darker version? 

I really like the way GIO implimented it. www.gameinformer.com < if you want to go play with it and see how it works. THIS SWITCH...should be universal accross all webpages.

d7UN5OJ.png

I would like this to be the situation everywhere, I just checked that out and it gave me dem feelins. :wub:

Maybe adjust the brightness and contrast on you're screen when you're getting annoyed by the "whiteness".

Some monitors let you save configurations, that will help if yours can do that.

I was thinking about that when I posted, actually. Mine has no easy way to switch around settings, sadly. I'd still like to mess with colors. Even LTT in night theme isn't perfect for me, but I'm definitely liking it more than standard/day theme. I'm not up during the day for the most part, so adjusting monitor brightness might be a good idea regardless. I just wish I didn't have to :).

I don't really like the white text on a black background for a website. I think it makes it less appealing and harder to read.
But that is just my opinion.

@Askew you're right on the Steam part, I really like their theme.

It really helps because then I don't need to turn the contrast on my monitor down almost to nothing and I can still see the entire picture very clearly and with all of it's colors.

I don't really like the white text on a black background for a website. I think it makes it less appealing and harder to read.

But that is just my opinion.

@Askew you're right on the Steam part, I really like their theme.

At least it's not blue text on a black background. I'll be squinting for days with that. :P