Using a ATX12V PSU to power a ATX12VO motherboard. Is it possible?

Earl Dadanur
1 hour ago, Earl Dadanur said:

The question is simple enough. If I had a system with an ATX12VO motherboard could I use a normal ATX power supply. Gamer's Nexus has an article that says that it may be possible to make an adapter. But I can't seem to find any known working examples. I personally am looking for a solution to this because of a prebuild I'm looking to upgrade. With my only limiting factor at this point being the power supply. Anyone got any ideas?.

Yes.  With an adapter.

Corsair has a part, CP-8920272, that converts Corsair Type 4 to the ATX12VO 10-pin and has a +5V to +12V boost converter in line to change the standby voltage.

A little more than half way through:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/3576039/intels-power-play-hands-on-with-atx12vo-motherboards-and-power-supply.html, you can see them mention, use and picture the cable that I'm speaking of.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair has a part, CP-8920272, that converts Corsair Type 4 to the ATX12VO

Is there a version that will take a 24 pin plug and convert it to the ATX12VO 10 pin though?

45 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

... The literal ATX specification. LOL. Point 3.3.3. https://www.intel.co.jp/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/resellers-power-supply-design-guide-changes.pdf

0-0.8V low, 2V high, and none or at most -5.25V open circuit.

under 2V is considered a power on signal. The pin is at 5V when the computer is off. On 12VO it does indeed appear to be the same; regardless of the voltage though, shorting to GND will power on the PSU.

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

... The literal ATX specification. LOL. Point 3.3.3. https://www.intel.co.jp/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/resellers-power-supply-design-guide-changes.pdf

0-0.8V low, 2V high, and none or at most -5.25V open circuit.

The signal has no relation to the +5VSB rail. In fact, on ATX12VO power supplies, it's behavior and specifications don't change at all: it's the same 0-0.8V for low state, 2V for high and at most -5.25V open circuit. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/single-rail-power-supply-platform-atx12vo-design-guide.pdf 

I'm not talking about trigger voltage. I'm only talking about what the pin sits at when nothing is connected to it. You're making a scene over something that's not being discussed...

1 hour ago, Earl Dadanur said:

Is there a version that will take a 24 pin plug and convert it to the ATX12VO 10 pin though?

Nope.  Because that's not Corsair's prerogative.

Yes but Corsair isn't the only one who could produce something like that.

13 hours ago, Earl Dadanur said:

Yes but Corsair isn't the only one who could produce something like that.

True.  But the one I'm talking about IS Corsair's.  If another company makes something similar, you need to look for something from another company.

Well I found an example. And while it isn't a ATX12VO connection I don't see why the same thing can't be done for that connector.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-3020-7020-9020-XE2-Dell-8pin-ATX-MB-pinout/td-p/7538164

It appears that Dell has their own version of a 12 volt only power. Except instead of using 10 pins it uses only 8 pins eliminating a 12 volt power line and the reserved pin.
Examples of the pin outs for the Dell and the ATX12VO being found in those hyperlinks.

It seems that at the moment that since ATX12VO is still relatively new that no one is currently producing these adapter for it. So that's probably why I didn't find anything on my earlier searches.

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair has a part, CP-8920272, that converts Corsair Type 4 to the ATX12VO 10-pin and has a +5V to +12V boost converter in line to change the standby voltage.

Also just a note. I can't seem to find any reference to this part in the materials for the corsair power supplies. With the only reference I've seen being in that PC World article. I may be blind though. Missing it entirely. Though with how relatively rare it is for a consumer to want an ATX12VO power supply right now I can understand why it wouldn't be advertised as a selling point.

Either way thanks.

14 minutes ago, Earl Dadanur said:

Well I found an example. And while it isn't a ATX12VO connection I don't see why the same thing can't be done for that connector.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-3020-7020-9020-XE2-Dell-8pin-ATX-MB-pinout/td-p/7538164

It appears that Dell has their own version of a 12 volt only power. Except instead of using 10 pins it uses only 8 pins eliminating a 12 volt power line and the reserved pin.
Examples of the pin outs for the Dell and the ATX12VO being found in those hyperlinks.

It seems that at the moment that since ATX12VO is still relatively new that no one is currently producing these adapter for it. So that's probably why I didn't find anything on my earlier searches.

Also just a note. I can't seem to find any reference to this part in the materials for the corsair power supplies. With the only reference I've seen being in that PC World article. I may be blind though. Missing it entirely. Though with how relatively rare it is for a consumer to want an ATX12VO power supply right now I can understand why it wouldn't be advertised as a selling point.

Either way thanks.

If you can make that Dell Optiplex thing, you can take the Corsair one and change out the connectors yourself.  Because, at the end of the day, what's the difference between a Corsair PSU cable, an EVGA PSU cable, etc.?  It's the connector on the PSU side.

The  CP-8920272 is made in small quantities and are only sold on the US webstore.  They're probably out and waiting for more to come into stock.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you can make that Dell Optiplex thing, you can take the Corsair one and change out the connectors yourself.

That's what I was thinking. But it's not looking like I'll have to. I checked the computer I'm working with and it's Dell's 8 pin connector. I miss remembered what PSU I was replacing and thought I had an ATX12VO. Though the power supply I'm replacing does only output 12 volt like the ATX12VO standard. Either way brought about an interesting discussion.