PSU sudden retirement and what to get next

So my PSU just spontanously gave up yesterday without any warning and I am now thinking of what to get as a replacement. The one I was using was a Corsair HX850 that I bought in 2013 and naturally I've missed the warranty window by two months despite the 7 years of warranty that Corsair includes with this PSU.

I am in no real panic right now as I had another PSU in my HTPC that I can make do with and no other components were damaged by the PSU's sudden retirement. I would however, like to hear if anyone else had a similar expirience and what's your general stance on PSU "life time", is buying a new one before warranty runs out the only real option? Finally I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have on what to get instead (I'm thinking closer to 1000w as I do tend to end up with 2 GPUs in my system) or if I should stick with Corsair given that I already have 3 bags of cables + sleeved ones that fit their PSUs.

Thank you!

• Daily Driver : Ryzen 5 3600 - Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 - Strix RTX2070 - MSI Ventus V2 RTX2080 - (4x16Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - Corsair Carbide 300r
  • HTPC : FX-8350 - Asus Sabertooth 990Fx rev2.0 - 2x Asus GTX660Ti - (4x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance - Scratch built oak and walnut chassi
  • NAS (Unraid) : Ryzen 3 3200G - Asus Prime B450-A - (2x4Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - 3 x Seagate IronWolf 4tb - 500gb SSD cache drive - Scratch build IronWolf themed case

to answer you first question, i think buying a new one whenever you make a major pc upgrade close to the warranty expiry date is the best option.

i think getting 7 years out of your psu is good and I wouldn't discard corsair going forwards, but there are other good models out there as well from competitors.

SLI and crossfire are pretty much dead and even with sli and crossfire, unless you plan on getting 2x rtx3090, a 850W psu should be enough for all possible scenarios.

finally, a few recommendations :

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

to answer you first question, i think buying a new one whenever you make a major pc upgrade close to the warranty expiry date is the best option.

i think getting 7 years out of your psu is good and I wouldn't discard corsair going forwards, but there are other good models out there as well from competitors.

SLI and crossfire are pretty much dead and even with sli and crossfire, unless you plan on getting 2x rtx3090, a 850W psu should be enough for all possible scenarios.

finally, a few recommendations :

True, it has been the component that has aged the slowest so I guess I never really thought of upgrading it despite upgrading everything else.

Oh yeah SLI is dead, I do  a lot of work in blender, ansys Fluent, etc however which are mostly parallell in their computation. I don't need to bridge the cards but by simply having 2 cards it gives me ~2x the computational power for rendering or 2 compute "nodes" for simulation. I'll have a look at the ones you linked to, thank you!

• Daily Driver : Ryzen 5 3600 - Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 - Strix RTX2070 - MSI Ventus V2 RTX2080 - (4x16Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - Corsair Carbide 300r
  • HTPC : FX-8350 - Asus Sabertooth 990Fx rev2.0 - 2x Asus GTX660Ti - (4x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance - Scratch built oak and walnut chassi
  • NAS (Unraid) : Ryzen 3 3200G - Asus Prime B450-A - (2x4Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - 3 x Seagate IronWolf 4tb - 500gb SSD cache drive - Scratch build IronWolf themed case