SSD Setup Choices

Matsozetex
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Always use the fastest drive as your boot.

Using a slower drive as boot makes no sense to me, as some files will be copied to the boot drive for caching or preprocessing.

Hi all,

Currently I've got a 500GB MX500, a 250GB 850 Evo and a 2TB WD Blue coming along in the next couple days. I'm planning of just putting the MX500 as a boot drive when I reinstall my operating system and having the 2TB WD Blue as my game drive and retiring the Evo (bought in 2017).

Is this a good setup? Is it worth doing an NVMe boot drive?

Any help is appreciated.

Using a slower drive as boot makes no sense to me, as some files will be copied to the boot drive for caching or preprocessing.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

nvme drives are great but as boot drives they dont make a difference compared to sata ssd's.  I swapped my OS over from a sata ssd to a nvme and maybe a half second to a second faster at boot thats all.  there really good for transferring large files which i have noticed with mine

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Seems like the MX500 is slightly faster than the WD Blue 3D, so looks like I'll go with that.

To add, usually you want the drive with the highest 4k read/write speed to be your boot drive. You can benchmark all of them and see which has the fastest 4k speed.

27 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

Seems like the MX500 is slightly faster than the WD Blue 3D, so looks like I'll go with that.

Sata blue? yeah mx500 is better.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w