AMD Ryzen 9 5950X preorder at BHPHOTO

Hi, I wanted to share my experience about preordering an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X preorder at BHPHOTO. Comments are welcomed if you want to know more.

I placed my order at around 8:30 am EST on Nov 5th. I thought it was just like Nvidia RTX 3000s launch where new products were released at 9 am, so I felt pretty good about myself. Then I digged into the the Q&A page and realized it actually went live on 12am, and the preorder was taken away at 9:30 am. Obviously my order stays at nearly the bottom of the pile. Today I got an email from BHPHOTO saying they would not be able to fulfill my order until Q1 2021. Is there anyone here who also preordered at BHPHOTO?

I have never had a DIY PC before. I used 2013 MacBook Pro for 4 years, then switched to 2017 MacBook Pro. It was a total disarster. I changed the display twice because it gradually developed an area with blue tint. I also replaced the keyboard twice because the doomed butterfly keyboard. And even worse I changed the battary 3 times due to swelling issues. This year I have been working from home on it and I realized it is way too loud, hot and slow than I could stand any longer. So I decided to build my own PC. Luckily this is a good year to do so haha. I just placed an order for Nvidia RTX 3090 FE on BestBuy today miraculously out of sheer luck. All components except the CPU would arrive this Friday yay. But the CPU situation is really depressing right now. I am even thinking about getting a Ryzen 9 3900X and sell it when my 5950X finally ships. 

Thanks for reading, :)  I will post an update when I get to actually build my PC.  

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I preordered a 3080 on 11-Sep-20.

It shipped on the 20/10/2020.

My 3090 would be ready to pick up this Friday according to BestBuy haha. New iPhone and new computer at the same day!

There are some great deals out there on 3900x right now, if you wanna get up and running right now I would probably go that route if you can. If you plan on selling it once the 5950x is avalible you could check the used market and see if someone upgrade to a 5000 and is selling a 3000 series cheap. Also I dont know what your daily work flow is but if its gonna be a temp processor you could always get something cheap like a 3600 for now knowing its only gonna be for a couple months, it will be far easier to sell when you are done with it compared to a higher priced chip

I ordered at around 2-3 am, I got same or similar email.  Shipping expected around Jan-Mar, update in first week of December.  Probably to say if they expect to ship sooner after all the canceled orders after being told could be march.  I'll wait as I was upgrading from Zen+ cpu I have in x570. (moving zen+ to b450 when new cpu arrives as secondary pc)

5950x would blow away anything in even newest macbook, even a 3900x would for that matter. Going from even top of line 2017 labtop to that combination should be a massive upgrade in performance.

9 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

There are some great deals out there on 3900x right now, if you wanna get up and running right now I would probably go that route if you can. If you plan on selling it once the 5950x is avalible you could check the used market and see if someone upgrade to a 5000 and is selling a 3000 series cheap. Also I dont know what your daily work flow is but if its gonna be a temp processor you could always get something cheap like a 3600 for now knowing its only gonna be for a couple months, it will be far easier to sell when you are done with it compared to a higher priced chip

I looked for 3600x indeed, but I don't like it very much. I am a data scientist, and my work desktop has a i7-8700. It wasn't quite as fast as I want. That was the main reason I looked for the 3900X. The situation only got worse when I remote in through my Mac. I had to connect two external screens with my Mac, and all I can hear all day is just the fans running as if I were sitting next to an 747 that is going to take off. I hate this generation of MacBook Pro here haha. I also do a bit photography, and my Mac just could not handle the work without dropping to 2GHz and staying at 99 degree C. 

9 hours ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

I ordered at around 2-3 am, I got same or similar email.  Shipping expected around Jan-Mar, update in first week of December.  Probably to say if they expect to ship sooner after all the canceled orders after being told could be march.  I'll wait as I was upgrading from Zen+ cpu I have in x570. (moving zen+ to b450 when new cpu arrives as secondary pc)

5950x would blow away anything in even newest macbook, even a 3900x would for that matter. Going from even top of line 2017 labtop to that combination should be a massive upgrade in performance.

Oh damn, the supply is really limited haha. I thought I might be the unfortunate one that was cut off from the line. I used to be a faithful Mac user back to my first Macbook hahaha. But this generation is a huge disappointment. It cannot even run Diablo III without dropping frames and lowering frequency. I just ordered 3900X on Newegg and I will be building my PC this Friday yay!!!!

I ordered a 5800X at 5 minutes till launch... They responded with a Dec 21st ship date at the latest.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

I ordered a 5800X at 5 minutes till launch... They responded with a Dec 21st ship date at the latest.

OK now I am really glad that I went to the 3900X route. I might just smash my Mac if I have to wait until next year. 

3 hours ago, benjaminlee said:

OK now I am really glad that I went to the 3900X route. I might just smash my Mac if I have to wait until next year. 

Maybe you should just smash the mac anyways... 😜

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms