RTX 2080 stuck at 300 Mhz

XxKINGxX40

My RTX 2080 is stuck at a clock rate of 300 Mhz, no matter what I do. Under load, the usage goes up to 99% and the mem clock goes up like normal, but the temperature and core clock stays the same. I tried OCing with MSI Afterburner, clean installing the drivers with DDU in safe mode and reinstalling, and flashing another BIOS. The next thing I was gonna try was clean reinstalling Windows.

I just got this card back from MSI. I originally RMAd my 1080ti because it started artifacting, and they sent me this 2080 as a replacement a few months ago. When I got it, I was experiencing the same problems I am now, so I sent it back for RMA, but they sent me the exact same card back. Any ideas?

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

5 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

My RTX 2080 is stuck at a clock rate of 300 Mhz, no matter what I do.

Sounds normal for a current gen. GPU, when not under load...

Is the PSU getting (enough) power to the card correctly...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Is the PSU getting (enough) power to the card correctly...?

How can I make sure of that?

-edit that's another thing. The voltage is also the same, on idle and under load. 0.725 V.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

Sorry for the edit, @CommanderAlex

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

How can I make sure of that?

Confirm that whatever power leads the card needs are fully seated at both the card AND the PSU.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Sorry for the edit, @CommanderAlex

No worries.

I would check that the power plan is set to high performance in Control Panel. I'd explain more but in class right now. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

image.thumb.png.462a3df0c5f519d29eddb23258cbc6d6.png

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what psu do you have and is it connected to the gpu?

Can't see that a 2080ti would be happy to only have the PCI-e rail 75W as a source...

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, XxKINGxX40 said:

Use HWinfo64 for hardware monitoring as HWMonitor is not that accurate. Just look at the power % of your card...550%?!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, Eighjan said:

Can't see that a 2080ti would be happy to only have the PCI-e rail 75W as a source...

true, but from OP's screenshot, the gpu is power limited.

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what psu do you have and is it connected to the gpu?

I have a Corsair RM750, and yes

3 minutes ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

Oops - 2080, not a 'ti'

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, XxKINGxX40 said:

I have a Corsair RM750, and yes

Is the rest of the machine in question as per your profile signature?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Is the rest of the machine in question as per your profile signature?

No, that's an old PC. My current PC:

i7 9700K

32GB RAM

Asus Z390-PLUS Gaming

MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk X

Update: did a clean install of Windows 10, still same problem :(

Have you tried running a benchmark to see if it's performing bad under load?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

39 minutes ago, MadPistol said:

Have you tried running a benchmark to see if it's performing bad under load?

I did. I think the card is just defective... I tried using another GPU and it works flawlessly. Gotta send it back to MSI...