New Display for RTX 3080

JayBe
Go to solution Solved by Gaires,

You should first read the sticky as it has lots of information that you'll need when choosing a monitor.

Take a look at this table tool and see if any of them catch your eye. You can add more filters from the add column button.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/40804

I personally wouldn't go for a 1440p monitor with 3080, only exception being Samsung G7. Thus you might want to consider ultrawides also, if they have any appeal to you.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/ultrawide-gaming

And while this goes over your budget, I'll still add it too.

Hey guys,

i was thinking about gifting myself a new Display this Christmas (or maybe Black Friday :P).

I currently have a MSI 27 L Optix MAG271C as Primary (which is then most likely going to be my Secondary and the old Dell one is flying right out the window).

The thing is, i dont know crap about what to look for when it comes to Gaming Displays.

I googled a bit and thought about getting a 4k HDR, but seeing that i could either pay 300 or 3000 bucks kinda scared me off to choose for myself and was hoping that you might help me.

Here are my System Specs:

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
  • RAM
    Patriot Viper Steel 3200 MHz 32GB (PVS432G320C6K)
  • GPU
    Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
  • Case
    Thermaltake Commander C36 TG ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung M.2 Pro
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1050W Platinum

GPU might get swapped out for a R6800XT, depending on how the Benchmarks are compared to the RTX3080.

I want to have at least 144Hz and a low response time, as it is mainly for gaming (and some office work due to HomeOffice). Should be not smaller than 27" but also not that big, since i only have a height clearance of max. 53cm atm

I still cant say if I want to have 1080p, 1440p or 4k as i dont know how much the graphics difference is between those 3 options.

So, my questions are:

• Is my MSI Optix still good enough and i should just keep it?
  • If i buy a new one, what resolution would be best paired with my System?
  • And what Display in the price range of up to 600€ (+-) would be the best for this Resolution?
  • Since i only have a height clearance of max. 53cm atm.. i was planning to move out in the first quarter of 2021, which means i could have more space for a new Display. Should i wait until then to be able to get a bigger one?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany.

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

You should first read the sticky as it has lots of information that you'll need when choosing a monitor.

Take a look at this table tool and see if any of them catch your eye. You can add more filters from the add column button.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/40804

I personally wouldn't go for a 1440p monitor with 3080, only exception being Samsung G7. Thus you might want to consider ultrawides also, if they have any appeal to you.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/ultrawide-gaming

13 minutes ago, Gaires said:

You should first read the sticky as it has lots of information that you'll need when choosing a monitor

Wow, this guide is awesomely detailed. Thanks for that!

14 minutes ago, Gaires said:

I did, and when i played around with the sliders adjusting my preferences it only showed the G7 ;'D Therefore:

15 minutes ago, Gaires said:

I personally wouldn't go for a 1440p monitor with 3080, only exception being Samsung G7

Why wouldnt you go for 1440p? And why is the G7 the only exception for you?

Seeing that the Table Top side gave out the G7 and you saying that this is the only 1440p exception kinda makes me actually think about the G7. Especially since the G9 catched my eye when it came out, but is too expensive for me.

16 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Thus you might want to consider ultrawides also, if they have any appeal to you.

Ultrawide is something i'd like to try out tho. But i heard that there are many games out there, that won't support ultra wide, which is the main reason i havent considered one yet. What is your opinion on this?

18 minutes ago, Gaires said:

They quote the Acer Nitro XV0 as the best ultra wide gaming monitor tested. Costing only ~630 bucks while still being better than the second best (the dell one) which costs ~1000 bucks, makes me actually think about that

20 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Well, it costs 900 rn.. maybe it drops a bit at Black Friday.
Im currently watching the video, seeing forward to get more information out of it.
Just out of interest: Why did you put that out? Is it the best go to 4k HDR monitor in your opinion?

Big Thanks for all that so far!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

I just found this one:

Gonna take a look into it as well, considering that the Sticky Note says that HW Unboxed is one of the best sources. 

53 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Seeing that in almost every Chart he provides the G7 is higher up the rank.. i might actually consider it. So between these two monitors its all about "do i want 4k hdr or do i not want 4k hdr" :'D

35 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Just out of interest: Why did you put that out? Is it the best go to 4k HDR monitor in your opinion?

Nope, but it is pretty cheap for a 4k 144hz monitor and pretty good overall.

37 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Why wouldnt you go for 1440p? And why is the G7 the only exception for you?

I just feel that 1440p wouldn't allow you to use GPU for its full potential, and the G7 is the exception because it's 240hz monitor.

38 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Ultrawide is something i'd like to try out tho. But i heard that there are many games out there, that won't support ultra wide, which is the main reason i havent considered one yet. What is your opinion on this?

Sorry, I don't have any experiences with ultrawides so I cannot really comment on that.

8 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Seeing that in almost every Chart he provides the G7 is higher up the rank

It's the best VA panel out there right now, but Samsung has some quality control problems. So if you do decide to buy the G7, be prepared for possibly going trough the RMA process few times before getting one that works properly. At least this was the case back when the monitor was released. Biggest known problem is flickering when the Freesync is turned on. Also the curviture is really aggressive which turns off a lot of people.

1 minute ago, Gaires said:

Nope, but it is pretty cheap for a 4k 144hz monitor and pretty good overall.

Ah, i see.

1 minute ago, Gaires said:

I just feel that 1440p wouldn't allow you to use GPU for its full potential, and the G7 is the exception because it's 240hz monitor.

Well, after seeing the "Best Gaming Monitors for RTX 30 GPUs" from HW Unboxed, he said that 1440p and 4k are the only options you should opt for with a 30 series GPU. Considering the fact that i currently have 1080p.. i might wanna swap :D
But i still dont know if its better to go for a cheaper, but overall good 4k monitor like the one your recommended or if its better go for a high end 1440p one, like the g7.

3 minutes ago, Gaires said:

It's the best VA panel out there right now

But the Sticky Notes say, that VA panels are more competetive gaming rather than quality gaming. And i am definitely not a competetive gamer :D Does that not include the G7 as well? Or is the G7 a VA panel that is as good, if not better, than IPS?

18 minutes ago, JayBe said:

But i still dont know if its better to go for a cheaper, but overall good 4k monitor like the one your recommended or if its better go for a high end 1440p one, like the g7.

If you can afford a 4k 144hz monitor definetly go for it. It will last you for a long time.

19 minutes ago, JayBe said:

But the Sticky Notes say, that VA panels are more competetive gaming rather than quality gaming. And i am definitely not a competetive gamer :D

The sticky says: "Arguably the middle ground of LCD display technology. VA has the best contrast and black levels by far, one of the primary reason they are predominantly used in TVs. They can nowadays also come close to your ‘average’ IPS displays level of colour gamut and accuracy. "

Do not underestimate how much the contrast level can enhance the atmosphere in games, and the high end panels have good enough color accuracy.

23 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Does that not include the G7 as well? Or is the G7 a VA panel that is as good, if not better, than IPS?

Rtings has started to test the LG 27GN950-B so if you can wait for a week or two you can directly compare the G7 and and said LG monitor.

Since annoyingly different reviewers use different testing methods, making it really hard to compare the results between reviews done by different reviewers.

As for the G7 panel, it has the usual benefits of VA panels, while not suffering from the ghosting problem that plagues the VA panels.

I would really consider a 1440p 27 144/165/240.

Pushing a 4k at 144, you are going to have to lower the setting considerably. 1080p you can get ultra settings and about 200fps plus.

I currently have the dell s2721dgf, and I can just push 140ish with the setting slightly lowered on warzone, cod mp I am just under 200, run 3700x, 3090, 32gb 3600z, tomahawk x570.

Will definitely look at the new Alienware 2721d (1440p 240hz ips) monitor being released at the end of the month in the UK, probably same for EU.

The sticky says: "Arguably the middle ground of LCD display technology. VA has the best contrast and black levels by far, one of the primary reason they are predominantly used in TVs. They can nowadays also come close to your ‘average’ IPS displays level of colour gamut and accuracy. "

Do not underestimate how much the contrast level can enhance the atmosphere in games, and the high end panels have good enough color accuracy.

Aaah ok, than i just read that wrong probably.

Rtings has started to test the LG 27GN950-B so if you can wait for a week or two you can directly compare the G7 and and said LG monitor.

Since i wanted to wait for Black Friday, i will have the time to compare those two :) Thanks tho!

7 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

I would really consider a 1440p 27 144/165/240.

Yeah, im still pretty unsure, but i think that i will most likely stick to the G7, if i it drops in price on BF.

17 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Pushing a 4k at 144, you are going to have to lower the setting considerably.

Not really, you don't have to play at 144fps with 144hz monitor, Freesync helps with the screen tearing and on most monitors response times are fine at 60hz.

All I'm saying is that the 1440p will really start to limit the higher end GPUs in a generation or two. While said cards can start to push over 100fps at 4k.

9 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Not really, you don't have to play at 144fps with 144hz monitor, Freesync helps with the screen tearing and on most monitors response times are fine at 60hz.

All I'm saying is that the 1440p will really start to limit the higher end GPUs in a generation or two. While said cards can start to push over 100fps at 4k.

Well tbf, i dont mind having less than 144 fps on high end graphical games like HZD or CP2077 as i play them to enjoy the setting. In those games, having more than 60 FPS is what i aim for.
But, i still want the 144hz display option for the few times i play things like valorant, csgo or league of legends.

The decision is soooo hard lmao :'D

You got solid advice here already, ill just chip in with a link to my custom rating profile on rtings, maybe something else will catch ur eye.

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/ABkArd5QEMduIA

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

45 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

You got solid advice here already, ill just chip in with a link to my custom rating profile on rtings, maybe something else will catch ur eye.

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/ABkArd5QEMduIA

Thanks, i will look into that! :)

I couldnt find the here recommended Display LG 27GN950-B in your Rating. Out of interest: Why is that?
Just not enough time to review it or not interested in reviewing it?

2 hours ago, Gaires said:

I looked for a few hours now and i guess, if the LG drops a bit in price on BF, i will get it.
What im still asking myself is... is there a difference between the LG 27GN950 and the LG 27GN950-B ? cause all i can find are reviews for the LG 27GN950 but if i try to look that one up at amazon or other retailers all i find is the LG 27GN950-B.
So, what does this "-B" stand for? :'D Just a newer, more improved version?

6 minutes ago, JayBe said:

As far as im aware they are the same display. The full name is LG 27GN950-B, while most places abbreviate it to LG 27GN950

Once rtings drops a review they'll list any different 'versions' they can find of it, e.g country specific models that usually only have superficial changes, like color, stand style, or any incldued items in the box.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

As far as im aware they are the same display. The full name is LG 27GN950-B, while most places abbreviate it to LG 27GN950

Once rtings drops a review they'll list any different 'versions' they can find of it, e.g country specific models that usually only have superficial changes, like color, stand style, or any incldued items in the box.

Ah, i see. Thanks :)

1 hour ago, JayBe said:

It's just the color. So LG 27GN950-B is black color.

I don't know why LG has decided to add the color to the end, since I haven't seen their new monitors any color besides black.

4 hours ago, JayBe said:

I couldnt find the here recommended Display LG 27GN950-B in your Rating. Out of interest: Why is that?
Just not enough time to review it or not interested in reviewing it?

I dont work at rtings, They be in Canada, im in Scotland ..across the 'puddle'. :P

Thats just my custom rating using their results, weighted to my preference, to give a final score to what i consider most important in a 'quality' gaming display.

The 27GN950 has yet to be reviewed, or rather its in testing now according to their site

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

So give it a few weeks and ull be seeing the review.

Hi @SolarNova @Gaires ,

sorry to bother you two again.. but i have another question regarding this topic.
Seeing that the LG 27GN950 is completely out of stock until approximately january on every local retailer i know... do you know of any similiar display that i could look for on Black Friday?

Thanks in advance!

The thing with 144hz 4k displays is that they do 'ideally' need the newer DP 2.0 or HDMi 2.1 for bandwidth reasons to run at 144hz  , so u'd be looking at newer models, there are no newer  models other than the GN950 that have been reviewed, or that i know about of hand.

EDIT: The 27GN950 has DP 1.4 BUT has DSC, hence why 4k 144hz works. So a 4k display at 144hz should have either DP 2.0 and/or 1.4 with DSC.

There are a few older models from 2018 and early 2019 but they require chroma sub sampling to run at full speed 144hz at 8bit SDR,

and can only do 50hz at 10bit HDR on HDMI 2.0 , and 60hz on DP 1.2 & 1.3

e.g

Acer XB273K

and

Asus PG27UQ

So atm the only reviewed monitor i know of that can do 144hz 4k properly is the GN950.

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The thing with 144hz 4k displays is that they do ideally need the newer DP 2.0 or HDMi 2.1 for bandwidth reasons to run at 144hz  , so u'd be looking at newer models, there are no newer  models other than the GN950 that have been reviewed, or that i know about of hand.

There are a few older models from 2018 and early 2019 but they require chroma sub sampling to run at full speed 144hz at 8bit SDR,

and can only do 50hz at 10bit HDR on HDMI 2.0 , and 60hz on DP 1.2 & 1.3

e.g

Acer XB273K

and

Asus PG27UQ

So atm the only reviewed monitor i know of that can do 144hz 4k properly is the GN950.

Ah dayum.. that might be the reason why it is out of stock i guess :'D
Thanks tho!

I would also need your help.

Is the LG 27GN950 worth it (because of 4K) or should i rather get the cheaper 27GN850 / 27GL850 instead? Is 4K even a thing for gaming anyway? What game can you truly run at 140fps in 4k? Even with the new gpu generation... this seems to be impossible.. or am i wrong? Most of my games are multiplayer titles like CoD Warzone / Cold War.

Or can i buy the 950 to be set for the future and set it to 1440p in certain games to get the FPS i need? Or would that come with some huge drawbacks?

It also seems that both the 950 as well as the 850 are not very well suited for the PS5. Am i right?
950 has no HDMI 2.1 so it does not support 4k 120hz.

PS5 does not support 1440p for the 850 so i would upscale 1080p to 1440p, at 120hz i suppose?

1 hour ago, Laserloui said:

I would also need your help.

Is the LG 27GN950 worth it (because of 4K) or should i rather get the cheaper 27GN850 / 27GL850 instead? Is 4K even a thing for gaming anyway? What game can you truly run at 140fps in 4k? Even with the new gpu generation... this seems to be impossible.. or am i wrong? Most of my games are multiplayer titles like CoD Warzone / Cold War.

Or can i buy the 950 to be set for the future and set it to 1440p in certain games to get the FPS i need? Or would that come with some huge drawbacks?

It also seems that both the 950 as well as the 850 are not very well suited for the PS5. Am i right?
950 has no HDMI 2.1 so it does not support 4k 120hz.

PS5 does not support 1440p for the 850 so i would upscale 1080p to 1440p, at 120hz i suppose?

Size limits ?

Budget ?

GPU ?

FYI: The GN950 has DP 1.4, not 2.0..but it has DSC, so its able to achieve full 144hz 4:4:4.

As for Consoles, it would use the HDMI so would be limited to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth.