5600x + 3080 Stuttering - High FPS but very low 1 and 0.1%

Hello everyone,

I recently finished building my new PC and while everything works pretty well, I am noticing some small but noticable stuttering in almost all games. I had already noticed it with my 3300x but since the problem continues with my 5600x, it seems like it is not coming from my CPU and I have no idea what could be the cause so I came here to ask for your help. But let's start with the specs : B550 Aorus Pro AC / Ryzen 5600x / 16GB Gskill 3600Mhz CAS 16 / RTX 3080 Asus TUF OC / Corsair rm750x / 860 Samsung SSDs x3 / 980 Pro Samsung NVME x1. I am using a 32GK850 LG monitor at 1440p/144hz with Gsync enabled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the performance numbers I get in each game after 10 min of monitoring with MSI Afterburner:

• SOTTR : Avg 143 / Max 144 / Min 90 / 1% Low 80 / 0.1% Low 73

• AC Origins : Avg 120 / Max 144 / Min 93 / 1% Low 84 / 0.1% Low 63

• AC Odyssey : Avg 101 / Max 144 / Min 64 / 1% Low 55 / 0.1% Low 30

• Witcher 3 : Avg 143 / Max 144 / Min 116 / 1% Low 93 / 0.1% Low 29

• RDR 2 : Avg 122 / Max 144 / Min 111 / 1% Low 54 / 0.1% Low 28

• Jedi Fallen Order : Avg 132 / Max 142 / Min 113 / 1% Low 66 / 0.1% Low 11

• Greedfall : Avg 135 / Max 144 / Min 110 / 1% Low 60 / 0.1% Low 25

• WD Legion : Avg 72 / Max 85 / Min 67 / 1% Low 30 / 0.1% Low 30

• Borderlands 3 : Avg 140 / Max 144 / Min 120 / 1% Low 90 / 0.1% Low 25

To summarize, SOTTR and AC Origins play super smooth but other games have very low 0.1% and 1% causing noticable stuttering.

As for temperatures, my 5600x is not getting hotter than 68°C in games and benchmarks and my RTX 3080 isn't getting above 65°C.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, here are the things that I tried.

- I first took care of the GPU, making sure that I was running default settings in games and NVIDIA panel. I also reinstalled drivers. All games have been tested with and without Gsync / Vsync.

- I then had a look at the RAM in the BIOS. It is correctly running at 3600Mhz CAS 16, with XMP enabled.

- As for the CPU and the MB, I upgraded to the most recent BIOS for Zen 3 before installing the 5600x and downloaded the new chipset update after installation. With this update, Ryzen power plans are gone and I tried both Windows balanced and high performance but didn't see any change.

- My next thought was that it might be an issue with one of my SSDs but the issue is present on games regardless of the SSD they're installed on.

- I also tried disabling some Windows features like the game mode or the Xbox bar.

- Finally, I decided to try a clean Windows install but unfortunately, the stuttering didn't go away.

I am starting to run out of ideas so I came here to ask for your help. Is there anything else that I can try?

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. Have a good day.

By reinstall drivers, did you use DDU? Try and use that. This is going to sound dumb, but I have seen people do this, did you use the right cables for the 3080? Make sure you are using separate power cables and not a splitter

All of the games you bolded are aggressively multi-threaded, and at least one of them is a game GN also got rather poor results with in their review of 5000-series.

Take from that what you will.

1 hour ago, Loeko said:
  • SOTTR : Avg 143 / Max 144 / Min 90 / 1% Low 80 / 0.1% Low 73

• AC Origins : Avg 120 / Max 144 / Min 93 / 1% Low 84 / 0.1% Low 63

• AC Odyssey : Avg 101 / Max 144 / Min 64 / 1% Low 55 / 0.1% Low 30

• Witcher 3 : Avg 143 / Max 144 / Min 116 / 1% Low 93 / 0.1% Low 29

• RDR 2 : Avg 122 / Max 144 / Min 111 / 1% Low 54 / 0.1% Low 28

• Jedi Fallen Order : Avg 132 / Max 142 / Min 113 / 1% Low 66 / 0.1% Low 11

• Greedfall : Avg 135 / Max 144 / Min 110 / 1% Low 60 / 0.1% Low 25

• WD Legion : Avg 72 / Max 85 / Min 67 / 1% Low 30 / 0.1% Low 30

• Borderlands 3 : Avg 140 / Max 144 / Min 120 / 1% Low 90 / 0.1% Low 25

How is that possible? 1% or 0.1% low shouldn't be lower than absolute min. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Hackerman25 said:

By reinstall drivers, did you use DDU? Try and use that. This is going to sound dumb, but I have seen people do this, did you use the right cables for the 3080? Make sure you are using separate power cables and not a splitter

No, but I reinstalled Windows and directly installed the latest drivers. Should I still give DDU a try?

I checked the cables and I'm using two separate cables for power.

1 hour ago, PCDude321 said:

All of the games you bolded are aggressively multi-threaded, and at least one of them is a game GN also got rather poor results with in their review of 5000-series.

Take from that what you will.

Yes, I understand that those games are heavy even on the 5600x but I am still getting way lower 1% and 0.1%. Actually, AC Odyssey has a lot of stutter but it's mainly because the CPU reaches 100% usage.

33 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

How is that possible? 1% or 0.1% low shouldn't be lower than absolute min. 

I wouldn't be able to tell but this is what MSI Afterburner reports. When I get a microstutter or freeze, I check the 0.1% low and I'm usually somewhere under 30, but it is strange because the min FPS will still be much higher.

12 hours ago, Loeko said:
14 hours ago, Hackerman25 said:

No, but I reinstalled Windows and directly installed the latest drivers. Should I still give DDU a try?

I checked the cables and I'm using two separate cables for power.

you should use ddu, no downsides to it if you do it correctly

I tried using DDU and it seemed to make things a little better with higher 0.1% low, mostly around 60 fps.

Actually, I did a lot more testing last night and realized that the main cause of stuttering is not my build but the games I play. For example, RDR2 stuttering disappeared after disabling full screen optimization and Jedi Fallen Order's stuttering disappeared after enabling max power performance, threaded optimization and low latency in the NVIDIA panel. Same for Far Cry 5.

I'm not sure why I still get much lower 1% and 0.1% than the reviews but games feel a lot smoother now.

Thank you for your help.

What are you using to monitor the FPS? Some OSD can cause issue like this.

Also, you can try to use GPU-Z to monitor what GPU state during the drop. Specially the PerfCap Reason section.

I've been using MSI Afterburner. I'll try GPU-Z when I get home.

36 minutes ago, Loeko said:

I've been using MSI Afterburner. I'll try GPU-Z when I get home.

Afterburner use RivaTuner for OSD. I find it causing performance issues with some game.

Also, as other mentioned. The 1% 0.1% does not make sense. Those are lowest 1%(or 0.1%) of the FPS, so it should never lower than the lowest(min) FPS.

8 hours ago, Dango said:

Afterburner use RivaTuner for OSD. I find it causing performance issues with some game.

Also, as other mentioned. The 1% 0.1% does not make sense. Those are lowest 1%(or 0.1%) of the FPS, so it should never lower than the lowest(min) FPS.

I did some testing and here are screenshots of the results. It seems like the PerfCap Reason part is reporting some VRel and VOp. From my very basic understanding, this means that my GPU is hitting the power limit, right? Is this a problem? And if yes, is there anything that I can do about this?

I also used Fraps to benchmark a run on Witcher 3 and the results are overall pretty similar to what I was getting with MSI Afterburner. It seems like in both cases, I get 1% low that are around 60/70 fps, making the MSI Afterburner minimum FPS of 114 frames pretty doubtful, especially because I can still feel some micro freezes. The game still feels overall a lot smoother than when I was getting 29 for the 0.1% frames.

I'm now going to try this with a more recent game, probably RDR2.

FrapsFPS.jpg

Witcher3GPUZ.jpg

FrapsFrametime.jpg

Witcher3MSI (1).jpg