Doing a new build and unsure about CPU's

Budget (including currency): 2600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Virtualization, testing, web, encoding/decoding, 3d modeling, financial apps

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I bought a new machine in 2015. It fried before I had a chance to use it, was not covered by a warranty for the particular issue it had, and consequently I'm using a desktop from the 2007 (era).

I do work using heavy applications requiring ECC, and I like the solid performance of Intel (despite it's recent criticisms). I've been looking for a Xeon CPU with a manufacturer warranty (No tray CPU's) at or below $2600. The prices seem to be totally inconsistent or all non existent. There are similar prices for Xeon's ranging from v2 to Xeon Gold, despite huge disparities in performance and special instructions.

The only option with the characteristics I need that I've found, so far, is an E5-26xx V4, at $2.6K. I bought it, but haven't taken delivery of it yet. It seems like it will meet or exceed my needs, but I can see so many newer CPU's with similar core counts at or around this price. I have to think that for that price there should be something newer available on the Xeon platform with the same core count on a single socket. I'm surprised to not see the internet flush with retail warrantied CPU's, since American's have endured so much economic hardship over the last 7 to 10 years. One would expect there to be a surplus. Also because 14nm on any platform is cheap for Intel to produce by this point.

Where am I not looking?

18 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

requiring ECC

Consumer Ryzen CPUs and many boards support ECC... Your choice

23 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

I've been looking for a Xeon CPU with a manufacturer warranty (No tray CPU's) at or below $2600. The prices seem to be totally inconsistent or all non existent. There are similar prices for Xeon's ranging from v2 to Xeon Gold, despite huge disparities in performance and special instructions.

Xeon's warranty is never provided by Intel, but by OEM that bought these CPUs in large batches as far as I aware. These are all OEM parts and Intel never intended them to be sold as individual units.

26 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

I have to think that for that price there should be something newer available on the Xeon platform with the same core count on a single socket

Accepting tray CPUs and lack of warranty will be key if you want more options, especially the first condition. This is the same.for.server CPUs from both.companies

33 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

I'm surprised to not see the internet flush with retail warrantied CPU's, since American's have endured so much economic hardship over the last 7 to 10 years. One would expect there to be a surplus.

Uhm, that's not how Intel sells Xeons. Maybe they had in the distant past, but not in recent years.  And they can simply reduce production when economy slows down if not goes backwards, they know economics.

39 minutes ago, pm18570 said:

because 14nm on any platform is cheap for Intel to produce by this point.

But companies certainly make a lot of money out of Xeons, that's why server CPUs and graphics cards are so expensive despite the underlying hardware being physically the same as consumer stuff. They know their target customer can afford to pay that much.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Any idea's about where I might be missing something trying to locate a more modern Xeon platform within the price window?

That's the essence of the question I suppose...

"Xeon's warranty is never provided by Intel, but by OEM that bought these CPUs in large batches as far as I aware. These are all OEM parts and Intel never intended them to be sold as individual units."

I've actually already spent a great deal of time looking into this, and what I've seen and been told by multiple vendors is that "Retail Boxed" Xeon's come with a 3 year warranty from Intel, where Tray processors sometimes come with a 1 year warranty from the vendor. Given the previous issue from 2015, I'm avoiding the risk this time. Maybe in the future, when building something more for fun, I'd be okay with a Tray CPU.

"Uhm, that's not how Intel sells Xeons. Maybe they had in the distant past, but not in recent years.  And they can simply reduce production when economy slows down if not goes backwards, they know economics."

There are always "Unloved" old Retail Boxed CPU's out there, sometimes many of them. I remember when I bought some E5's ages ago for work there was a glut of previous generation E5's, two and three generation old Xeon's still available. There could have been even older ones out there, but I didn't look. Something else is probably going on... Who knows.