NVME Trouble

davroll
Go to solution Solved by Digideath,
12 minutes ago, davroll said:

it seems as though it doesn't recognize it, D is my standard HDD and C is my Kingston SATA SSD from which I boot windows off 

108137552_Screenshot(5).png.95e219ca7e19a38a55b06e371f9d137f.png

The part at the bottom with all the blue lines and system partitions. Scroll down at that part and look for a blank unused partition. It should be down there. The scroll bar is showing that there is more. If not, you have a problem.

Hi all, i'm trying to setup my Sabrent 1tb NVME on my z390 A-Pro board, however i just want it as storage, not as a boot drive. Every tutorial online i've seen is setting up nvme's as boot drives using RAID, Is there anyway to set nvme's up as just a storage drive without RAID and if so, a link to a tutorial or a post would be very helpful, thanks :D

I dont have any links at hand but from my own experience, It should work like a normal hdd. Install it then go to disk management in windows and format the drive. You should be able to use it as storage then.

you plug in the nvme drive.

Then at the next startup it will be automatically mounted and formatted by windows 

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

15 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I dont have any links at hand but from my own experience, It should work like a normal hdd. Install it then go to disk management in windows and format the drive. You should be able to use it as storage then.

it seems as though it doesn't recognize it, D is my standard HDD and C is my Kingston SATA SSD from which I boot windows off 

EDIT: Nevermind im kinda dumb, had to scroll down and initialize the disk, will update to see if that was the solution 

12 minutes ago, davroll said:

The part at the bottom with all the blue lines and system partitions. Scroll down at that part and look for a blank unused partition. It should be down there. The scroll bar is showing that there is more. If not, you have a problem.

Just now, Digideath said:

Yep i figured that out, sorry for my idiocy haha, once that's done should it appear as a storage device or is there more to it?

Just now, davroll said:

Yep i figured that out, sorry for my idiocy haha, once that's done should it appear as a storage device or is there more to it?

Nothing more to it. Just format that partition and give it a drive letter. Once that's done, you're good to go :)

1 minute ago, Digideath said:

Nothing more to it. Just format that partition and give it a drive letter. Once that's done, you're good to go :)

alright thanks for your help! it was very much needed! :)