Using a generator to power my PC

RSig

Situation: currently living in Airbnb as shortest lease periods are usually a year and I plan to move somewhere else in 6 months. I did a fk up and turns out the Airbnb I got doesn’t have grounded outlets. I can’t just ask them to ground them I guess, am too awkward + it’s only a 6 month stay, can’t give a reason to convince them other than maybe a electrical fire hazard 🤔

Regardless, I need to use my PC for work stuff and kinda don’t want to risk it not being grounded. I figured if I could use a power generator like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SM5HBK1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_23FPFbC6DD0CV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

with a UPS for further safety. My system configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

GPU: MSI 1080Ti founders edition

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Motherboard: ASU’s PRIME X-470 

Would there be any other factors I should consider?

I use my PC ungrounded all of my life. Nothing to worry about.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

A PC works fine, even with a gas generator. The dirty power will be filtered by you PSU. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

So long as the UPS is also a surge protector as well, you can use that.  Otherwise I'd go with a surge protector instead of a UPS (I feel like daisy chaining them is probably ill advised).  As others have mentioned, the PSU should clean up the energy so it won't damage your components.  However, inconsistent, spikey energy as might come from a generator WILL shorten the life of things it is connected to.  Would you rather slag your $120 PSU prematurely or your $25 surge protector?  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I use my PC ungrounded all of my life. Nothing to worry about.

I wouldn’t if I wasn’t experiencing static from it....

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

piece of wire connecting the pin and a plant pot, and there, you have ground

or use it without it, my outlets only have 2 prongs and my PC hasn't exploded... I even plug it to a generator sometimes when the power is out for days or weeks during the summer (just banana republic things, you wouldn't get it) and that does the trick. the only thing that has ground connected is the fridge and that's done via wiring a small wire on the motor to the wall, like this:

Hide contents

Japanese Appliance has a Green/Yellow Ground Wire coming out of it, What  should I do? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

except my plugs have round pins.

Your computer won't catch fire.

The ones here have the third rounded pins as well but isn’t a ground at all. Only way I found out was when my surge protector was showing no ground light. Probably an old house with a 3 prong outlet cover. Does you experience static from your PC when not grounded?

It's so easy to make a ground.......

All you need is 8 foot grounding stake. It's gotta go down in the ground 6 feet. 

Wire it to the house, main panel. Would be best to wire all the outlets to the main ground at the panel because the conduit pipe is not reliable to source as a ground. 

You can also just install GCFI outlets to a home without ground. This is good protection on a short. These will help protect against power surges and the breaker will pop saving hardware, fires and probably your life.

Good Luck!

13 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's so easy to make a ground.......

All you need is 8 foot grounding stake. It's gotta go down in the ground 6 feet. 

Wire it to the house, main panel. Would be best to wire all the outlets to the main ground at the panel because the conduit pipe is not reliable to source as a ground. 

You can also just install GCFI outlets to a home without ground. This is good protection on a short. These will help protect against power surges and the breaker will pop saving hardware, fires and probably your life.

Good Luck!

"Wire it to the main panel?  You mean this big, thick cable that goes out to the str--" <<insert electrocution noises here>>

It's only easy if you already know what you're doin'.  And in this case, even if it is easy, it's in pretty close proximity to HOLY CRAP DON'T TOUCH THAT OR YOU'LL DIE.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

6 minutes ago, Rybo said:

"Wire it to the main panel?  You mean this big, thick cable that goes out to the str--" <<insert electrocution noises here>>

It's only easy if you already know what you're doin'.  And in this case, even if it is easy, it's in pretty close proximity to HOLY CRAP DON'T TOUCH THAT OR YOU'LL DIE.  

huh? I never said anything about some big thick black cable. ? lol.

The panel box it's self is the ground. The conduit and wall boxes are the ground. The stake in the ground, well... that's ground. 

Since ground only carries a load when shorted to, I guess you either die or the ground takes the current.