Is 3d printing a pc case (is it possible?)

StrawberryShortCakes

I was thinking of designing my own m-atx case project, but I'm not sure if there are any printers big enough to print the parts? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but it's not gonna be easy, and probably not cheap either.

15 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I was thinking of designing my own m-atx case project, but I'm not sure if there are any printers big enough to print the parts? 

Yes, there is a thread about a fellow LTT member who is doing just that, let me find the thread and post it here for you.

Hold please!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, there is a thread about a fellow LTT member who is doing just that, let me find the thread and post it here for you.

Hold please!

Ty

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

CR-10 max are 450x450 mm base and higher priced printer can easily go in the 1000 mm range.

Some commercial machines removing limitations of the 2.5D printer by using a 5 axis approach. Other experimental setups just use industrial robots like Kuka make.

Anyway you can still make multiple parts even reasonably priced printer like the CR-10 are 300x300 mm base plate.

I think someone I know has a cr10 not sure about the baseplate tho

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

They are always 300x300 mm. He propably has glass or buildtak. So just ask the guy if he can print PETG. If you are limited to PLA make sure no part will get close to 50 °C or it might bend.

OK thank you. 

On 11/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Big printers can be expensive. The CR-10 Max is about $1000, which is kinda cheap for that size compared to other printers around the 450x450x470mm print volume, but still a big purchase. It's ok to print in multiple smaller pieces and assemble them. Makes designing it a little more challenging but the printing process will be easier. I'd definitely recommend a printer that has a powerful enough power supply to heat the bed (Creality has some printers with 400mm and 500mm square beds that have a lot of trouble heating the bed). I'd also recommend a printer that automatically pauses the print when it runs out of filament, and also can resume the print in case of a sudden power loss. You'll have a lot less failed prints with those features.