Ryzen 7 5800X with which motherboard?

afaq0

Hi. I'm planning on ordering the Ryzen 7 5800X tomorrow but I'm not sure what motherboard to get after ordering my CPU. 

I was looking for a good motherboard that won't need BIOS updating. 

Will the one in the link work straight away without any updates?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-TUF-B550-PLUS-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088W57M4J/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=motherboard+zen+3&qid=1604449171&sr=8-3

Thanks!

Doubt it will work out of the box given the BIOS supporting new CPUs was released a week ago (v1202). Why don't you want to update the BIOS?

1 minute ago, smares said:

Doubt it will work out of the box given the BIOS supporting new CPUs was released a week ago. Why don't you want to update the BIOS?

Previously I thought I would need a previous gen compatible CPU to update the BIOS. 

Will I need a previous gen CPU to update the BIOS?

Will I be able to update the BIOS with the Ryzen 7 5800X?

If I can update it, then that will be great! 

3 minutes ago, smares said:

Why don't you want to update the BIOS?

To update the BIOS you need a working board. To have a working board, you need a supported CPU. If Zen 3 is not supported, you need a loaner CPU to do the upgrade (unless the board supports updates without a CPU, as some do).

You'll probably need to contact Amazon to inquire whether the necessary update is already applied on the board. But as @smares said, the update is relatively new, so chances are it'll take some time before boards have them pre-applied.

1 minute ago, afaq0 said:

Previously I thought I would need a previous gen compatible CPU to update the BIOS.

Correct. Some boards have a "flash bios" button that works without a CPU installed, but otherwise you need a supported CPU to install the update that adds support for new CPU models.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I am not exactly sure if this is supported on the ASUS, but on some MSI boards, you can flash the BIOS without CPU/RAM/VGA by using a dedicated USB port and holding down a button on the mainboard when booting. The board you linked to has a BIOS-FlashBack button so it might work.

Sorry for coming back again. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-MAG-B550M-MORTAR-WIFI/dp/B08B4SD768/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=b550+wifi&qid=1604513990&s=computers&sr=1-2

I found this motherboard, which has a better price and also has WiFi.

I tried having a look myself but I cannot tell if it will support BIOS update to Zen 3 without a CPU. 

I don't want to buy it then not being able to use it. 

Can someone please take a look?

Yes it works as described on page 48 of the manual. :) You only have to make sure the BIOS file is named "MSI.ROM".

1 minute ago, smares said:

Yes it works as described on page 48 of the manual. :) You only have to make sure the BIOS file is named "MSI.ROM".

Here's the manual, just FYI: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C94v1.1.pdf

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button1.

Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website.2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive.3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.) 4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Porton the rear I/O panel.5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing.6. The LED will be turned off when the process is completed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply