Not sure if this belongs here but my pc made a bad sound on boot up so I turned it off

Need_Not

I got up this morning pressed the power button I hear the clicking of the parts and I can hear everything turning on like normal I went to go grab something else when I could hear a grinding sound I figured it was something outside but when I got closer it was my computer! The cpu cooler and the 3 intake fans looked like they were spinning fine but I couldn't see under my gpu and didn't look at the exhaust 

I grabbed my phone and started recording but when I shut off my pc first my screen went black then my mouse and keyboard then the fans spin super fast then everything stops but this time I can remember when but I think the grinding stopped when the keyboard and mouse turned off so maybe my gpu stops spinning then or worse the HDD???

Here is what it sounded like 

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

That doesn't sound like a cable getting caught by a fan, but just barley kinda does, make sure that no cables are hitting the fans of the GPU and case fans, CPU cooler fan by pulling the cables around the fans taught.

How old are the fans in the case, the stock CPU cooler? Could it be that one of your fans has run un-true in balance and that's the sound of a bad fan?

Also make sure no cables have somehow contacted the PSU fan, assuming you have the PSU fan mounted inside the case rather then pointing outside the case.

For a bad fan you may just need to dust it off, around the axil or center of the fan underneath, maybe this might solve it? Sorry I can't help more, I'm a first time builder but these are things I hear are often causes of sounds in a computer.

As for your HDD, look up if it has known issues. If the issues people complain about sound like yours you may need to send it in to be repaired.

2 hours ago, Spainz said:

How old are the fans in the case, the stock CPU cooler? Could it be that one of your fans has run un-true in balance and that's the sound of a bad fan?

The case is less than 10 months the stock cooler is 14 months I'll check everything else out 

I checked the fans but I couldn't check my psu fan idk how 

that sounds like a broken bearing, here's what i'd suggest doing:

- if you have a CD/DVD/BD drive, that's suspect number one for crunchy sounds, unplug and try again.

- unplug all hard drives (and SSD's), this will also stop your pc from booting while you're doing the rest of the troubleshooting

- if the sound persists when you boot the pc without hard drives, that's good news, that means its not a hard drive that went thermonuclear. (if the sound is gone, see below.)

- then while the system is running (or turn it off and on, if stuff is hard to reach without getting your fingers caught) unplug each fan one by one, and listen if the sound persists. if it goes away when you unplug a specific fan, you know that's it.

<this is "below">

- once you've found what you believe is the cause of the sound, plug in EVERYTHING else, and test again. this will confirm you have ruled out the single source of the sound (if it persists, you either got the wrong part, or have multiple.)

- replace the broken component.

a tip if you dont want to unplug your fans, or for your GPU's fans: you can stop a fan by gently holding your finger on the very center, providing enough resistance to overcome the motor. you wont damage this if you do it for a few seconds at most, and most modern fans 'detect' if they are blocked, and the motor will 'pause' momentarily, only to spin up again once it's free.

past that, if you're troubleshooting a 'weird sound', i always suggest doing so while the system is not booting to windows, because that way you can pull the cord without potentially losing data, and the system doesnt do anything on its own.

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

I checked the fans but I couldn't check my psu fan idk how 

unplug all psu connectors, and short out the 'green' pin to any of the black pins with a paperclip:

that'll power up the power supply, and it's fan.

atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that sounds like a broken bearing, here's what i'd suggest doing:

- if you have a CD/DVD/BD drive, that's suspect number one for crunchy sounds, unplug and try again.

- unplug all hard drives (and SSD's), this will also stop your pc from booting while you're doing the rest of the troubleshooting

- if the sound persists when you boot the pc without hard drives, that's good news, that means its not a hard drive that went thermonuclear. (if the sound is gone, see below.)

- then while the system is running (or turn it off and on, if stuff is hard to reach without getting your fingers caught) unplug each fan one by one, and listen if the sound persists. if it goes away when you unplug a specific fan, you know that's it.

<this is "below">

- once you've found what you believe is the cause of the sound, plug in EVERYTHING else, and test again. this will confirm you have ruled out the single source of the sound (if it persists, you either got the wrong part, or have multiple.)

- replace the broken component.

a tip if you dont want to unplug your fans, or for your GPU's fans: you can stop a fan by gently holding your finger on the very center, providing enough resistance to overcome the motor. you wont damage this if you do it for a few seconds at most, and most modern fans 'detect' if they are blocked, and the motor will 'pause' momentarily, only to spin up again once it's free.

past that, if you're troubleshooting a 'weird sound', i always suggest doing so while the system is not booting to windows, because that way you can pull the cord without potentially losing data, and the system doesnt do anything on its own.

Well my ssd is an m.2 which is really hard to get to my hdd is just extra storage if I unplug it it should boot I assume I should be able to leave my ssd in as it has no moving parts so it cant be the problem right?

3 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Well my ssd is an m.2 which is really hard to get to my hdd is just extra storage if I unplug it it should boot I assume I should be able to leave my ssd in as it has no moving parts so it cant be the problem right?

unplugging the SSD's is more about not loading into windows, because that gives you a bit more freedom in troubleshooting with the hard drive.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

unplugging the SSD's is more about not loading into windows, because that gives you a bit more freedom in troubleshooting with the hard drive.

Ok but also my hdd is covered in a mess of wires because I bought a non modular psu so if I unplug the mobo from the drive but the drive is still connected will the drive turn on because its powered or will it be off because it's not connected to anything 

Ok i unplugged the drive completely and its much quieter but I can't tell if its because I took the drive out or because i have all the panels on both sides off

I thought I heard it a little again but it went away after a little I also unplugged my external DVD player but it didn't grind on my other computer 

Edit i restarted again and this time I didn't hear anything I kinda want to put the drive back in to make sure but I don't want to damage it 

Well I plugged everything back in thankfully it left off where it stopped with the drive but now my msi monitor looks super bad and I'm guessing that might have to do with me disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it and it messed up my monitor profile inside the mai display kit