Mixing RAM memory ?

Go to solution Solved by Pixel5,

if all you care about is the capacity yea you can just mix them and nothing bad will happen beside they wont perform as well.

overall you are probably better off getting a new kit with 2x4GB or more and just using that.

Hello my PC is in my signature running Asus M4A88T-M motherboard with 8GB of RAM (4x2gb) haven't used it for about 2 years and decided to make media PC out of it but one of the modules has failed. so now i have 3x2GB 

That motherboard is listed to support 16GB of memory my question is can i just throw a 4GB or 8GB module in the empty slot ? I know when mixing memory they will all work at the lowest freq. and highest voltage of a module installed. But is it possible to mix capacity ?

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

if all you care about is the capacity yea you can just mix them and nothing bad will happen beside they wont perform as well.

overall you are probably better off getting a new kit with 2x4GB or more and just using that.

12 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

The Phenom X6 only uses DDR3 memory, performance won't really be affected.

Yes i mostly care about the capacity by todays standards i dont think it will be a fast PC just by swapping memory :D 

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The Phenom X6 only uses DDR3 memory, performance won't really be affected.

Actually i did order a used Corsair Vengeance kit of 2x4 It was $20 And change