GPU fans grinding when stopping or starting up

SSK-99

Hi everyone. Its been over a month now that I've notice a horrible grinding noise coming from my PC. I only built the system about 3 months ago and it is my first build.

I opened the side panel and narrowed the problem down to the GPU fans making the grinding noise when they are starting up or slowing down (as it increases/decreases over the threshold temp im guessing).

Like I said, only built the system 3 months ago so wouldn't expect component damage at this stage? Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do? Is this normal or should I return the card?

Thanks in advance :)

I had a windforce GTX 1080 that would do exactly that....solution was custom fan curve in MSI afterburner so that the fans won't stop no more....just spin them slow in stead of having them turning on and off.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, SSK-99 said:

Hi everyone. Its been over a month now that I've notice a horrible grinding noise coming from my PC. I only built the system about 3 months ago and it is my first build.

I opened the side panel and narrowed the problem down to the GPU fans making the grinding noise when they are starting up or slowing down (as it increases/decreases over the threshold temp im guessing).

Like I said, only built the system 3 months ago so wouldn't expect component damage at this stage? Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do? Is this normal or should I return the card?

Thanks in advance :)

Well I wouldn't expect it either but there's a failure rate as with any other product too, and that doesn't sound like it's working as it's supposed to at all. Could have maybe RMA the card or something (personally I wouldn't want to put up with defective product like that) 

50 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I had a windforce GTX 1080 that would do exactly that....solution was custom fan curve in MSI afterburner so that the fans won't stop no more....just spin them slow in stead of having them turning on and off.

That may just be a solution tho not ideal of course, RMA seems preferable. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Make sure it's not just a cable touching on one of the fans or something as it's quite a common occurrence as well.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

19 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Thanks for the advice. I've opened the side and I'm pretty sure there's no cable hitting the fans. Custom fan curve is worth a shot, just need to learn how to do that :P. Do you know exactly what rpm you kept them in at idle, since I know literally nothing about this?

18 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well I wouldn't expect it either but there's a failure rate as with any other product too, and that doesn't sound like it's working as it's supposed to at all. Could have maybe RMA the card or something (personally I wouldn't want to put up with defective product like that) 

That may just be a solution tho not ideal of course, RMA seems preferable. 

I am tempted to RMA it. But the card seems to be functioning fine, and temps dont seem too bad (but not impressive either, hit 80C the other day). I ordered from Amazon UK, so if they themselves can test and replace it, I'll do it. But if I have to send the card to Gigabyte, I'll probably keep it, see how it goes, and RMA later if it actually stops functioning inside the 3 year warranty period. Thanks for the advice mate.