I need help building a pc!!!

Nick Touch

Budget (including currency): $1000(US dollars)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming for high(er) quality games(monster hunter, ark, etc) and modeling.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Here is my pc so far. I think its pretty good but I wanted to check it by people who know a lot about pc's: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qfKBc I'm getting this pc for Christmas but im trying to budget to im buying some now. I already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and all that I just need the PC. I'm upgrading from a old gen computer using a AMD fx, radeon 270, and 8 gigs of ram. I'm not too picky about my frames or anything like that I just want something that will deliver above 60fps. I plan to upgrade my monitor to something really high end later but for now the one I have is working which is all that matters. I also will most likely will upgrade the GPU later but not sure. I also have already bought a few parts for the build which includes the CPU(comes with a cooler), ram/memory, storage, and power supply. I am buying the case soon im just waiting until I have a bit more money. If anyone can help me out by just confirming this might be a good computer or something good to upgrade from I would really love it. This is my first ever build so im a little nervous but I think im ready.

Nothing wrong with the built, looks nice. You could try to stretch the Budget to a 1TB ssd, 500GB is small these days. I would recommend a non Samsung Drive (Samsung is always expensive) like a sx8200Pro or a Kingston a2000. Both are cheaper although a bit slower than the 970 evo of the same size.

a rule of thumb is to match a Ryzen or I to its respective gpu number. i3 - 50/60 i5 - 70 i7 - 80 i9 - 90. for you you should go Ryzen 5 if you do cad modeling more or an I5 10500 if your more into gaming to a 2070 super. I've seen a few for $350 - $400 on eBay due to people wanting upgrades to 3000 and 6000 series

Only things I would change were your SSD and Ram, you can get faster memory at that price that still looks good, and by not paying extra for the features you likely wouldn't need on a samsung nvme drive you could bump up your gpu to a 1660Ti which would see a greater increase in performance.

You still have a solid build that will be great, this list is how I would have done it

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

2 minutes ago, chaosys said:

Nothing wrong with the built, looks nice. You could try to stretch the Budget to a 1TB ssd, 500GB is small these days. I would recommend a non Samsung Drive (Samsung is always expensive) like a sx8200Pro or a Kingston a2000. Both are cheaper although a bit slower than the 970 evo of the same size.

ive have the 970 evo 500gb the only reason i have a second ssd is for video storage. 500gb is good as long as you don't install cod

Just now, Doubble said:

thats cheaper than what ever his PC list has

And it's better. Corsair's RAM kits are overpriced. More expensive =/= better. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, Doubble said:

ive have the 970 evo 500gb the only reason i have a second ssd is for video storage. 500gb is good as long as you don't install cod

Yeah I went with the same capacity but a cheaper drive to squeeze in a better gpu because that will impact performance more, also that memory kit being cheaper is the entire point, also it is faster at 3600Mhz which that ryzen 3000 chip is going to like a lot more

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

And it's better. Corsair's RAM kits are overpriced. More expensive =/= better. 

corsair rams kits have better rgb then the competition . if you don't have an rgb corsair product then your wasting your money

That CPU and GPU combo is a bit of a mismatch, in my opinion. If you're planning on getting a less powerful GPU now and upgrading later, that's fine, but if you were building a new system (and not planning on upgrading soon) I'd switch some things around. Most games these days are more GPU-intensive, so I'd drop down to a Ryzen 5 3600 and step up to a 2060 (about a 30% performance bump). Also, ditch that PSU. It might be branded Seasonic, but it's actually a unit contracted out to RSY, and it's better fit as a paperweight than anything else. Go with something like this or this. Your current storage config is fine, but Samsung SSDs aren't always the best value. You should also grab a 1-2TB HDD for large games and other infrequently accessed files. 

Final note, don't pay full retail for a copy of Windows 10. Grab a $30 key from G2A or Kinguin.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

That CPU and GPU combo is a bit of a mismatch, in my opinion. If you're planning on getting a less powerful GPU now and upgrading later, that's fine, but if you were building a new system (and not planning on upgrading soon) I'd switch some things around. Most games these days are more GPU-intensive, so I'd drop down to a Ryzen 5 3600 and step up to a 2060 (about a 30% performance bump). Also, ditch that PSU. It might be branded Seasonic, but it's actually a unit contracted out to RSY, and it's better fit as a paperweight than anything else. Go with something like this or this. Your current storage config is fine, but Samsung SSDs aren't always the best value. You should also grab a 1-2TB HDD for large games and other infrequently accessed files. 

Final note, don't pay full retail for a copy of Windows 10. Grab a $30 key from G2A or Kinguin.

i would disagree on the gpu selection. a 2070 super aren't that much more for resales and you would get better frames.

Just now, Doubble said:

corsair rams kits have better rgb then the competition . if you don't have an rgb corsair product then your wasting your money

...I don't really understand what you're talking about. His kit is a plain Vengeance kit. It doesn't have RGB. Having 3600MHz RAM over 3200MHz will make an actual difference in performance, RGB will not.

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Just now, bellabichon said:

...I don't really understand what you're talking about. His kit is a plain Vengeance kit. It doesn't have RGB. Having 3600MHz RAM over 3200MHz will make an actual difference in performance, RGB will not.

someone was saying corsair is over priced but i was defending their RGB aspect as it lights up my whole system. i was suggesting that dont buy corsair if it doesn't have rgb

1 minute ago, Doubble said:

i would disagree on the gpu selection. a 2070 super aren't that much more for resales and you would get better frames.

If OP is okay going used, I totally agree with you, but I was under the impression that they wanted all new parts. Also, I sincerely doubt you're going to be able to find a 2070 Super for $400. My quick search on Ebay seems to peg them at around $550 resale. That'll probably come down though, so OP should keep an eye out for some deals.

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

2 minutes ago, Doubble said:

someone was saying corsair is over priced but i was defending their RGB aspect as it lights up my whole system. i was suggesting that dont buy corsair if it doesn't have rgb

Ah that's fine then. Corsair does have nice RGB, but I'd rather spend my money on something that'll actually make a difference to the experience of using the computer, rather than something that's just nice to look at. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

If OP is okay going used, I totally agree with you, but I was under the impression that they wanted all new parts. Also, I sincerely doubt you're going to be able to find a 2070 Super for $400. My quick search on Ebay seems to peg them at around $550 resale. That'll probably come down though, so OP should keep an eye out for some deals.

i saw three under 425 this morning. people who are charging over $450 are scammers trying to get every penny out of you.

Ah that's fine then. Corsair does have nice RGB, but I'd rather spend my money on something that'll actually make a difference to the experience of using the computer, rather than something that's just nice to look at. 

do you know what PCMR is?

15 minutes ago, chaosys said:

Yeah I know that 500gb is not a whole lot but I plan to get more later. Right now I think I have 1tb and I use about half of it so I thought getting 500gb for now would be optimal.

Just now, Doubble said:

do you know what PCMR is?

You mean the guys that pound their chests about the fact that their $2000 PC beats the $500 PS5? Yeah, I'm familiar. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

You mean the guys that pound their chests about the fact that their $2000 PC beats the $500 PS5? Yeah, I'm familiar. 

exactly. my religion says that RGB speeds up your system by 30%. we all have our beliefs

18 minutes ago, Doubble said:

a rule of thumb is to match a Ryzen or I to its respective gpu number. i3 - 50/60 i5 - 70 i7 - 80 i9 - 90. for you you should go Ryzen 5 if you do cad modeling more or an I5 10500 if your more into gaming to a 2070 super. I've seen a few for $350 - $400 on eBay due to people wanting upgrades to 3000 and 6000 series

This is true but this also means I have way more potential for my gpu. Plus I do plan to upgrade later. My first pick was actually going to be a 1080 TI but I couldnt really find any and I have had bad experiences with ebay before so Im not really going to go there.

I really appreciate all this feed back! I just want to emphasize that some of these parts like the RAM, battery, CPU I have already bought. Just to clarify I will be upgrading my storage and GPU. I think the battery and RAM that I have picked out is pretty good and while it might be a little overpriced(I didnt know) and there might be better out there, I think they are good enough for what I am doing.( im building a mid ranged pc, not a super computer) I just wanted to say again that this is my first build that I will upgrade later over the years. Im definitely going to use this feed back in the future when buying some parts and upgrading. Thank You!