How to move OS to new SSD & use windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade?

LeprekonKilla
Go to solution Solved by LeprekonKilla,

Solution: I ended up doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on the new SSD; I was able to reuse my Windows 8.1 key so I didn't have to buy a new OS. I then simply moved over or reinstalled any programs I wanted on the SSD. I'm sure it's not the most efficient way to go about things, but it went pretty smoothly! I had some issues with reconnecting the old HDD but poking around in the BIOS fixed that.

Hello everyone, I recently dusted off my old gaming pc (R9 290/i5-4790/8gb RAM). That combo is still fine for the gaming I do, but it has an archaic 1tb HDD and runs windows 8.1. I've ordered a 500gb Samsung 860 EVO for the storage upgrade, and was looking to find out the easiest way for me to move the OS onto the SSD and also use my free windows 8.1 to windows 10 upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

As for the 8.1 to 10 upgrade I regretted it immensely.  It helped with some game purchase sites but made my monitor unusable.  Can be quite dangerous for old hardware imho.  It’s supposed to be fine but there can be holes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

As for the 8.1 to 10 upgrade I regretted it immensely.  It helped with some game purchase sites but made my monitor unusable.  Can be quite dangerous for old hardware imho.  It’s supposed to be fine but there can be holes.

I use Windows 10 on my daily driver laptop and it's been a bit jarring to switch back and forth (the interface on Windows 10 is miles more cohesive as well). I suppose there's always risk when upgrading an OS, but I started this thread in the hopes of finding the most seamless way to do so.

1 hour ago, LeprekonKilla said:

I use Windows 10 on my daily driver laptop and it's been a bit jarring to switch back and forth (the interface on Windows 10 is miles more cohesive as well). I suppose there's always risk when upgrading an OS, but I started this thread in the hopes of finding the most seamless way to do so.

The only real danger seems to be old hardware.  Dual link dviD and vga it is not so happy with win10 for example.  It’s mostly a driver issue it seems.  Win10 has a nasty habit of automatically updating itself and will overwrite old drivers, and if your hardware isn’t supported anymore too damn bad.  The upside of win10 is there’s a bunch of software that is 7 or 10 but not 8.  This means that all of a sudden more software  will work.  If you’ve got an old peripheral such as a printer or a scanner save a copy of your driver before the update.  The update itself is dirt simple.    Im not even sure you need to get a copy of win10, though it’s faster and more reliable if you make a win10 USB stick.  (There’s a app for that)  there is almost certainly more specific advice available.  I did it only once and I am pretty sure I didn’t do it very optimally. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Solution: I ended up doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on the new SSD; I was able to reuse my Windows 8.1 key so I didn't have to buy a new OS. I then simply moved over or reinstalled any programs I wanted on the SSD. I'm sure it's not the most efficient way to go about things, but it went pretty smoothly! I had some issues with reconnecting the old HDD but poking around in the BIOS fixed that.