Laptop GPU performance

NaniSalmon

Hey all,

I bought a laptop (Acer 5) equipped with an I7-10500U (4C 8T @ 1.8Ghz baseclock), 12 GB ram and an MX350 2Gb. Thing is : I mostly play Runescape on this laptop (the only game light enough to played there). Somehow, when it not plugged in, it get better FPS then when it is plugged in. I can clearly see on the MSI afterburner thet the GPU clock hits pretty close to 1500Mhz while on battery and barely 1000Mhz when plugged... Something is wrong... I don't know what. Plz help.

Thank you.

A stranded fish.

Just now, NaniSalmon said:

Hey all,

I bought a laptop (Acer 5) equipped with an I7-10500U (4C 8T @ 1.8Ghz baseclock), 12 GB ram and an MX350 2Gb. Thing is : I mostly play Runescape on this laptop (the only game light enough to played there). Somehow, when it not plugged in, it get better FPS then when it is plugged in. I can clearly see on the MSI afterburner thet the GPU clock hits pretty close to 1500Mhz while on battery and barely 1000Mhz when plugged... Something is wrong... I don't know what. Plz help.

Thank you.

A stranded fish.

Return the laptop to the shop or have it replaced.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, NaniSalmon said:

Hey all,

Thank you.

A stranded fish.

This is working as intended. On battery the system is limited to the power the battery can give so the system lowers the clocks on the gpu and sometimes cpu depending on the load to stay within the limits of the battery.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is working as intended. On battery the system is limited to the power the battery can give so the system lowers the clocks on the gpu and sometimes cpu depending on the load to stay within the limits of the battery.

The problem is the system is lowering clocks on the charger and not on the battery.

What is the power management plans for when the system is on the charger and on battery? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

The problem is the system is lowering clocks on the charger and not on the battery.

What is the power management plans for when the system is on the charger and on battery? 

Oops misread that.

I tried the Acer default one, the windows balanced and high performance. No difference at all. Il says GPU usage 99% but doesn't clock as high as it should. Right now it's stuck at 349Mhz @ 99% usage. If i unplug the laptop, it will cloct al almost 1500Mhz.

23 minutes ago, NaniSalmon said:

stuck at 349Mhz @ 99% usage

What are your temperatures at this point? From the looks of the frequency at this usage seems like thermal throttling if I am correct. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

What are your temperatures at this point? From the looks of the frequency at this usage seems like thermal throttling if I am correct. 

Thermals are known to suck on this series of laptop. Underlaod CPU gets up to 80-ish and GPU 75-ish.I replaced the original thermal paste to help it a bit. Since your last comment I uninsatlled the drivers and reinstalled them. Seems so have fixed the problem. Usage is at 75-85%, frames are perfect, clocks are between 1000Mhz and 1400Mhz. Just hope it's gonna stay like that and not crash again.

1 minute ago, NaniSalmon said:

Thermals are known to suck on this series of laptop. Underlaod CPU gets up to 80-ish and GPU 75-ish.I replaced the original thermal paste to help it a bit. Since your last comment I uninsatlled the drivers and reinstalled them. Seems so have fixed the problem. Usage is at 75-85%, frames are perfect, clocks are between 1000Mhz and 1400Mhz. Just hope it's gonna stay like that and not crash again.

Sounds like you are on the right track to fixing the issues you are having.