GPU fans going crazy at 80° C

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bstq4d

My GPU is from a fairly recent RMA with MSI. It's worked fine until a few days ago, with temps in the mid 70s. However, recently the GPU started hitting 80° C under load. When that happens, the fans will spin to max speed (3600rpm), regardless of what my custom fan curve says in afterburner.

I've already tried using Display Driver Uninstaller, along with rolling back drivers to an older version, changing my riser cable, and switching to EVGA Precision X1. Nothing seems to work.

Have you tried using the fan curve built into the Nvidia drivers? Sorry if there isnt any lol I have AMD

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

paste job might be faulty, if youre comfortable taking it apart and repasting it that'd rule out those kinds of issues.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Stock fan curves suck tbh. I tried out the stock fan curve on my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and temps went up to near 70° C. Once I set my fan curve on, temps went down to low 60s-65° C. Try not to have multiple fan control software's run at the same time as issues may arise, only stick to one (I use MSI Afterburner only, never used EVGA Precision X1). What was your card sent in for that MSI repaired in RMA?  I see you have quite a bit of fans in your case but are they moving air at all as airflow is important to circulate the hot air out of the case, replaced with fresh "cold" air?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Stock fan curves suck tbh. I tried out the stock fan curve on my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and temps went up to near 70° C. Once I set my fan curve on, temps went down to low 60s-65° C. Try not to have multiple fan control software's run at the same time as issues may arise, only stick to one (I use MSI Afterburner only, never used EVGA Precision X1). What was your card sent in for that MSI repaired in RMA?  I see you have quite a bit of fans in your case but are they moving air at all as airflow is important to circulate the hot air out of the case, replaced with fresh "cold" air?

Thanks for the advice!

It's probably a bad card then. The card I sent in for RMA was the same model I currently have, but different serial number. I'm using a rather aggressive custom curve in afterburner (I only temporarily deleted afterburner and tried X1 to see if that would fix the problem).

And I don't see how the case fans could be the problem, 3 noctua intakes on the bottom, and the rest of the fans are exhaust, meaning that I have 3 fans blowing air directly at the GPU.

3 minutes ago, skinnyzeldaplayer said:

Thanks for the advice!

It's probably a bad card then. The card I sent in for RMA was the same model I currently have, but different serial number. I'm using a rather aggressive custom curve in afterburner (I only temporarily deleted afterburner and tried X1 to see if that would fix the problem).

And I don't see how the case fans could be the problem, 3 noctua intakes on the bottom, and the rest of the fans are exhaust, meaning that I have 3 fans blowing air directly at the GPU.

That's pretty odd then for temperatures to be high on a new card from RMA...I guess you can go through the RMA process again or repaste the card to rule out bad thermal paste application. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's pretty odd then for temperatures to be high on a new card from RMA...I guess you can go through the RMA process again or repaste the card to rule out bad thermal paste application. 

Will MSI void my warranty if I open the card?

Just now, skinnyzeldaplayer said:

Will MSI void my warranty if I open the card?

I believe according to their warranty, opening the graphics card does void the warranty on the graphics card but why fix the problem yourself when you paid for something that is suppose to work. Lets just say hypothetically, the card just fell out of warranty, then I'd try to push them to RMA it as you didn't receive the card in time due to shipping. Though, I would say this falls under the grey area of voiding a warranty on a graphics card since the "Warranty void if removed" stickers they put on are not legal in the United States (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).