Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zen 3 vs Zen 2 architecture question

At some point in the last month or 3, I thought I read something about how there are situations where the 3950X (maybe 3900X) has some serious performance problems if Windows assigns an application multiple cores that aren't in the same 'node', and if a core is attempting to access cache that is associated with the other node--not sure if node is quite the right terminology. The 3700X doesn't have this problem because all its cores are in the same node, and it went on to say that the Zen 3 architecture wouldn't have this limitation.

Is there any truth to this?

Yes, there is truth to that.

Software designed before the release of any X hardware would or could come across this issue.

Updates to firmware and software eventually alleviates issues like these.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

The CCX, or core complex, is being replaced with the CCD, the core complex die (they specified the name in the Livestream announcement, and Gamers Nexus had some excellent coverage if you are curious). You're right that the 3700X has a single CCX so core to core latency is low, and that the movement of all cores onto the single CCD for everything up to the 16 core offering will provide improved performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Isn't it that on Zen 2 a CCX has 4 cores (8 threads) while on Zen 3 a CCX has 8 cores (16 threads)? A 16-core Zen 3 will use two CCX-es while a 16-core Zen 2 used 4.

Thanks for the info Fasauceome-- Hopefully can watch the GN stuff when I have some free time in the next few days.