Measuring wattage for individual PSU cables with current clamp?

y3llowduk

Hi All, I've seen gamers nexus a while ago use a current clamp thing to measure how much power is going through individual cable sets from a PSU. e.g. how much power the 8-pin cpu power connector is pulling. I know very little about this stuff... but I assume they measure current draw? So to get the power draw in watts you use P=IV with the voltage being 12V... DC right? Can anyone recommend a current clamp for this purpose? Just for fun and tinkering with overclocks.

Tia.

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

Yep, you're correct in how that works. The one trick is that you have to make sure you only get the +12V and not the ground rails, because if you clamp the entire cable it'll average the current in both directions and read zero.

7 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Yep, you're correct in how that works. The one trick is that you have to make sure you only get the +12V and not the ground rails, because if you clamp the entire cable it'll average the current in both directions and read zero.

Thanks for the advice! The only thing I noticed is the few I have seen online only measure AC current not DC?

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

38 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Can anyone recommend a current clamp for this purpose?

Estimate your power draw and choose any Fluke AC/DC Current Clamp with suitable range. Make sure it say DC. I would also go for true-RMS one if your PSU is not cream of the crop. Fluke is my brand of choise. It has a long history and is more expencive, howerver nowdays it is made in China same as many other brands.

33 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Thanks for the advice! The only thing I noticed is the few I have seen online only measure AC current not DC?

The cheap ones only measure AC.  The better ones can measure AC or DC.