Web Server

Hello all, I am running an old HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Form Factor, Running Linux LXLE (built on Ubuntu), reason i am running it instead of Ubuntu, is it seems to be the only distro that runs with my NIC properly. I am wanting to set up an Apache Web Server to host my website for my photography, and once i learn how to work it pretty decent, maybe even a web hosting server for others to use as well (will definitely upgrade before this happens).  I am able to install apache MYSQL PHPAdmin and all that and run it locally, but when it comes to accessing it from the internet i cannot get it.  I tried to DMZ the IP Address, but all that did was shut down my Plex Server hosted on an old laptop. from being accessed from the internet. I have 100/8 MBPS Cable internet attached to a Netgear R6400v2 Dual Band Router. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Wayne

P.S. This is the computer i am running on. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01865797

You need to forward ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (SSL) to the IP address of the server in your routers firewall. Also make sure to open these ports in the servers built in firewall for both incoming and outgoing (they should already be open for outgoing by default).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On your router you need to forward ports 80 and 443 to your server just like Master Disaster said. Then set up and secure your apache server in the normal way. Later when you're setting up other sites use Apache virtual hosts.

If it's going to be accessible from the internet, I would also recommend setting up fail2ban. But if it's just local, this isn't really needed.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, maplepants said:

If it's going to be accessible from the internet, I would also recommend setting up fail2ban. But if it's just local, this isn't really needed.

Also of note if this is going to be accessible via the internet is whether your ISP provides you with a static or dynamic IP.