Performance issues and random powering off.

Reece99

Hi guys,

As of I'd say a couple of weeks ago my girlfriends PC has been having some issues and the main one being the PC just randomly shutting off whenever she'd tab out of her games and the second one being some fps issues or not being able to turn music off and the PC running kind of sluggish... she got a new 700W PSU but the next day it still did the same thing and shut itself off, I made the suggestion to reseat the ram and switch the sticks around because I'm pretty sure that ram can be the reasoning for a PC shutting off by itself (not 100percent on that so correct me if I'm wrong) and ever since then it hasn't happened for the last few days.

The thing is though, is she still has weird performance issues where she can't stop her music after tabbing in and out and she still has the sluggish performance... I've tried searching on Google a little bit but cannot seem to narrow anything down to her problem or even anything similar to her problem. Hopefully someone can help us out here as we have absolutely no idea if its a hardware issue or not but one thing we are certain on is that its not the PSU and we are unsure if the powering off problem is completely fixed or somehow temporarily fixed but as of right now its not doing it.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 970 4GB
Thermaltake TR2 S Series 700W PSU 80+
Asus Prime B350-PLUS
Team Group Vulcan 16GB DDR4 Clocked at 2933MHz

The system is about 3 years old and has been working completely fine until a week or two ago.

Thanks in advance :)

Forgot to mention, after a while of the PC being on and tabbing in and out to check messages for example, the PC eventually stops allowing her to tab out completely and has to force open task manager or restart the PC.

Do you have another PSU around that you can test with the system and try and replicate the issues with?

Is the RAM running at stock speeds and did you try clearing CMOS? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

57 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Do you have another PSU around that you can test with the system and try and replicate the issues with?

Is the RAM running at stock speeds and did you try clearing CMOS? 

She already has switched her PSU out, her previous PSU was a 650W and she assumed that was the problem and got a brand new 700W PSU but it was still doing the random powering off and as for the ram, before today it was orignally running at 2400MHz but as of I'd say like 8 hours ago its now running at 2933MHz.

1 hour ago, CitricLemons said:

Maybe is not stable?

It's been stable for 2.5 years and only recently, as of a week or two ago it began becoming unstable... 

17 minutes ago, Reece99 said:

She already has switched her PSU out, her previous PSU was a 650W and she assumed that was the problem and got a brand new 700W PSU but it was still doing the random powering off and as for the ram, before today it was orignally running at 2400MHz but as of I'd say like 8 hours ago its now running at 2933MHz.

15 minutes ago, Reece99 said:

It's been stable for 2.5 years and only recently, as of a week or two ago it began becoming unstable... 

Ok, so the RAM speeds for 2.5 years were at 2400mhz? What is the RAM kit's speeds originally rated for? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok, so the RAM speeds for 2.5 years were at 2400mhz? What is the RAM kit's speeds originally rated for? 

Uh I believe her dad at first clocked her ram at 2933 and was probably like that for a year or so until my girlfriend accidentally changed it by mistake and we only found that out today so it was probably clocked at 2400 for like 1.5 years and is now back at 2933 and her ram kits 3000mhz 

Are you on the currently latest Nvidia drivers (456.71)? That is like the only other thing I can think of with poor performance other than making sure all drivers are up to date on the computer and none of those "optional updates" were installed from Windows Update (don't trust them). 

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are you on the currently latest Nvidia drivers (456.71)? That is like the only other thing I can think of with poor performance other than making sure all drivers are up to date on the computer and none of those "optional updates" were installed from Windows Update (don't trust them). 

Yeah everything is up to date, she did some updates today aswell so yeah everything is 100 percent good, genuinely have absolutely no idea what could be causing these issues, do you think it could be the motherboard or ram?

Just now, Reece99 said:

Yeah everything is up to date, she did some updates today aswell so yeah everything is 100 percent good, genuinely have absolutely no idea what could be causing these issues, do you think it could be the motherboard or ram?

If the motherboard's BIOS has not been updated in a long time (or ever), I would update the BIOS to the latest BIOS out there just to rule out any issues that can cause sluggishness. RAM is pretty much hard to kill, but I've never heard of the brand Team Group Vulcan before but RAM chips themselves come from basically three manufacturers out there (Micron (Crucial), Samsung, and Hynix). 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

If the motherboard's BIOS has not been updated in a long time (or ever), I would update the BIOS to the latest BIOS out there just to rule out any issues that can cause sluggishness. RAM is pretty much hard to kill, but I've never heard of the brand Team Group Vulcan before but RAM chips themselves come from basically three manufacturers out there (Micron (Crucial), Samsung, and Hynix). 

Team Group are the creatora of T-Force I believe, don't know much about them myself but I've heard people speak highly of them before. I'm fairly certain her BIOS is up to date but I could be wrong so I'll ask her tomorrow and let you know :)