Multiroom Wi-Fi advice

mnrtjedennis

Hi all,

Recently I finally bought a multiroom Wi-Fi set, the Orbi RBK50. unfortunately it didn't perform the way I wanted to due to random disconnects for like 10 - 30 sec (ethernet and Wi-Fi). Some research told me a lot of people had the same problem so I returned it. What would you guys recommend because I'm lost at this point.

What do I need it to do:
- Multiroom / mesh system
- the satellite has to have at least 3 ethernet ports (or is this easy to fix with a network switch? I use 3 Ethernet cables for my TV, PC and XBOX) 
- Doesn't have to have a really in-depth options / interface men, I like a simple app.
- Budget: around 300 euro - 350 euro but would pay extra if it's worth

- I have to cover downstairs and upstairs with upstairs begin the at least 3 Ethernet option, router is downstairs. 

- I was looking at the Asus ZenWiFi ct8, or maybe some kind of ubiquiti setup?

Thanks in advance for helping a lost person in the internet out!

4 hours ago, mnrtjedennis said:

Multiroom / mesh system

Are you able to run ethernet to rooms from a central location? Is there any reason why you absolutely cannot?

I have to cover downstairs and upstairs with upstairs begin the at least 3 Ethernet option, router is downstairs. 

Getting good WiFi coverage between floors is difficult with mesh and repeater systems. You're not only up against the interference and signal attenuation from walls/floors, but you're relying on a wireless backhaul to the base station. I'll admit that the RBK50 should be one of the better models given its dedicated 5GHz band for backhaul, but it's still a wireless-to-wireless link.

Can you share a sketch of the floor plan of the house and the general dimensions you're working with?

I was looking at the Asus ZenWiFi ct8, or maybe some kind of ubiquiti setup?

You'll have to try the CT8 for yourself to determine. As for Ubiquiti, it works better as a traditional network setup, i.e. with ethernet between access point and switch/router. There are some mesh APs that seem to work fairly decent, but you'll need regular UniFi APs to mesh the signal and the cost of everything might exceed your budget.

11 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Are you able to run ethernet to rooms from a central location? Is there any reason why you absolutely cannot?

Getting good WiFi coverage between floors is difficult with mesh and repeater systems. You're not only up against the interference and signal attenuation from walls/floors, but you're relying on a wireless backhaul to the base station. I'll admit that the RBK50 should be one of the better models given its dedicated 5GHz band for backhaul, but it's still a wireless-to-wireless link.

Can you share a sketch of the floor plan of the house and the general dimensions you're working with?

You'll have to try the CT8 for yourself to determine. As for Ubiquiti, it works better as a traditional network setup, i.e. with ethernet between access point and switch/router. There are some mesh APs that seem to work fairly decent, but you'll need regular UniFi APs to mesh the signal and the cost of everything might exceed your budget.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for you reply! As I posted also the same question on other forums, they basically said the same as what you said. I've listened to that advice and went with the Ubiquiti dream machine with a access point and switch. I run a ethernet cable upstairs for a wired backhaul. Thanks for your opinion and what do you think of this setup?

Thanks again, cheers!

39 minutes ago, mnrtjedennis said:

Hi,

First of all, thanks for you reply! As I posted also the same question on other forums, they basically said the same as what you said. I've listened to that advice and went with the Ubiquiti dream machine with a access point and switch. I run a ethernet cable upstairs for a wired backhaul. Thanks for your opinion and what do you think of this setup?

Thanks again, cheers!

That's great! Let us know how it works out.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, Falcon1986 said:

That's great! Let us know how it works out.

Well, an update here I guess... Everything works perfectly! I can't be more satisfied at the moment