Comfortable Headset Upgrade Suggestions

Kahubu

I have had a problem with my current headphones that use for gaming on my PC. I currently have the Bose QC 3 headphones. Great headphones, great sound quality and noise cancellation. I would carry on using them for gaming but I feel like the cushioning has flattened a bit because after wearing for more than 3-4 hours my right ear starts aching and hurting a lot.

So, getting to the point, I'm looking for suggestions on PC headsets, mostly used for gaming with a built in microphone. Budget is around £150. I could push to £200 if my budget is too low. The main thing is they need to comfy for my ears, whether it's thicker cushioning, or firmer or longer lasting cushions. 

I'd like to keep the same sound quality from the Bose headset, but a lot comfier.

Well most SteelSeries headsets are comfy I love my arctis 3

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

If you're looking for just headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 32 Ohm are as good in terms sound quality and comfort as it gets for your budget. I have the 600Ohm version myself (mainly because i have a good AMP to go with them) and they're the most comfortable headphones i've ever had. Audio quality is also superb. And if you need a microphone, get an Antlion Audio ModMic. Just beware, they don't have any noise cancellation and they're "open backed", which means they block almost no sound coming from outside the headset. I personally prefer open headphones over closed ones though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks for those suggestions. If I were to look at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 32 Ohm, it would have to have a mic built in. I can't be dealing with all those wires with the ModMic wired, and it's just a bit too expensive for the wireless version. It does look good though, if I find but more money, I'd consider that combo

Does anyone know if the SteelSeries Arctis 7 are comfortable? I'm just really weary of them losing their cushion quickly. Can you buy new cushions for them? I think with the Bose headphones you can buy replacement cushions but they're stuck on with glue, which I don't want to risk ruining

3 hours ago, Kanna said:

Well most SteelSeries headsets are comfy I love my arctis 3

Steelseries headphones are garbage. Some beyerdynamics with an amp/DAC combo will be perfect. 

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

3 hours ago, Kahubu said:

I have had a problem with my current headphones that use for gaming on my PC. I currently have the Bose QC 3 headphones. Great headphones, great sound quality and noise cancellation. I would carry on using them for gaming but I feel like the cushioning has flattened a bit because after wearing for more than 3-4 hours my right ear starts aching and hurting a lot.

So, getting to the point, I'm looking for suggestions on PC headsets, mostly used for gaming with a built in microphone. Budget is around £150. I could push to £200 if my budget is too low. The main thing is they need to comfy for my ears, whether it's thicker cushioning, or firmer or longer lasting cushions. 

I'd like to keep the same sound quality from the Bose headset, but a lot comfier.

IF you cant get good studio headphones get either the mh571 or hyper x cloud 2 or alpha

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Steelseries headphones are garbage. Some beyerdynamics with an amp/DAC combo will be perfect. 

They aren't that bad you can hear the game sound clear and they are comfy for the price

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

4 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Why are they garbage? Are you talking purely in sound quality or material quality? If they don't break, are solid, and the cushions are good and thick, then that's good to me. If the sound quality is good then that's good to me. I'm a casual consumer of headphones, they don't need to be the highest quality of sound for me. But if they're poor material quality then I understand

2 minutes ago, Kahubu said:

Why are they garbage? Are you talking purely in sound quality or material quality? If they don't break, are solid, and the cushions are good and thick, then that's good to me. If the sound quality is good then that's good to me. I'm a casual consumer of headphones, they don't need to be the highest quality of sound for me. But if they're poor material quality then I understand

Well the headband thing is ski band and the cushions are super comfy and it's hard to hear background noise

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kahubu said:

The sound quality isn't that good. I mean if you only need build and comfort quality then go ahead. Also the mic is fucking horeendous just saying. 

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Tigerleon said:

The sound quality isn't that good. I mean if you only need build and comfort quality then go ahead. Also the mic is fucking horeendous just saying. 

if you mean on the arctis 7 well then yeah maybe but my arctis 3 has a good mic it picks me up good

Reminder⚠️

Okay to go on comfort, build quality and audio quality. I'll still recommend the HyperX cloud alpha or Cloud 2's They can't be beaten by any other "gaming" manufacturer in terms of audio quality. Since they are reskinned from studio headphones. Kingston really knows what they are doing, doing that way. Same with cooler master. Their MH571's are great and the mic is decent on both the HyperX's and MH571's

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

4 hours ago, Kahubu said:

I can't be dealing with all those wires with the ModMic wired, and it's just a bit too expensive for the wireless version.

You don't really have any additional cable runs. The Modmic wire just clips right on to your headphone wire, so it feels like there is only 1 cable. No need for the wireless version.

I can vouch for the comfort and the quality of this combo. I never tried a headset that even came close to sound quality, build quality or comfort. Not even high-end sennheiser headsets for >300$ came close.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Okay to go on comfort, build quality and audio quality. I'll still recommend the HyperX cloud alpha or Cloud 2's They can't be beaten by any other "gaming" manufacturer in terms of audio quality. Since they are reskinned from studio headphones. Kingston really knows what they are doing, doing that way. Same with cooler master. Their MH571's are great and the mic is decent on both the HyperX's and MH571's

For £4 extra you can get the MH752, the upgrade on the previous one. It has the dongle attachment thing on the wire that has built in 7.1 surround sound. Watching a few reviews on it and the mic sounds amazing. I'm considering this mic more and more. Is the 7.1 surround noticeable? 

For an extra £4 I can't see a reason to get the newer version. Would you agree?

4 minutes ago, Kahubu said:

For £4 extra you can get the MH752, the upgrade on the previous one. It has the dongle attachment thing on the wire that has built in 7.1 surround sound. Watching a few reviews on it and the mic sounds amazing. I'm considering this mic more and more. Is the 7.1 surround noticeable? 

For an extra £4 I can't see a reason to get the newer version. Would you agree?

Well first off. These built in dongles sound awful compared to onboard audio. And this 7.1 surround this is literally bullshit. If you want 7.1 surround get 7 speakers and 1 sub woofer. You can't achieve either good audio for music or gaming because games use 3d audio processing anyways. So adding 2 layers on top of each other will sound crap. Also USB soundcards in headsets tend to break after a while. They will start to crackle and make weird noises.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit