dobbel virtuel machine

birchgauze

I'm looking into using my currently gaming rig to run a NAS server (might need to update some parts).

My current reg is s running:

I7-7700k

16 GB og ram

Gtx 1080

256 GB nvme as boot drive.

1 tb for Windows software and gaming.

2 X 4 TB for storage

My plan is to run Windows 10 as my main tool for productivity (video and photo editing) and sometimes gaming.

Then I also want to run a 24/7 NAS server as a virtuel machine, for primarily file storage and secondary streaming my files at home. 

My questions is:

• What performance hit should I expect?

• Should I upgrade parts (doubling the ram, 128 GB SSD for buffering and maybe changes to a Ryzen 5 3400g or 3600x)?

you should upgrade the RAM due to the VM using at least 4 gb to run smoothly. 

currently on my workstation at work I run win 10 on a current I7 with 32 gb ram. 

on that 2 linux vm and two server 2016 vm.

Well I don't game on that system but it still runs smooth.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

3 minutes ago, birchgauze said:

Then I also want to run a 24/7 NAS server as a virtuel machine, for primarily file storage and secondary streaming my files at home

Any time you reboot, the NAS goes down. Any time your PC crashes while gaming, your NAS goes down. Any time you have to reboot because of Windows-update or the likes, the NAS goes down. So on and so forth. Also, you don't need to run a NAS in a VM just to share files, since Windows already has the ability to share those over the network.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Any time you reboot, the NAS goes down. Any time your PC crashes while gaming, your NAS goes down. Any time you have to reboot because of Windows-update or the likes, the NAS goes down. So on and so forth. Also, you don't need to run a NAS in a VM just to share files, since Windows already has the ability to share those over the network.

Has it? Also so I can access them 24/7 online from both PC and mobile? 🙂

And what about if I would need transcoding for streaming? (A feature not a must have)

2 minutes ago, birchgauze said:

Also so I can access them 24/7 online from both PC and mobile?

In your LAN, yes. Over the Internet, you'd need to install additional software, just like with a NAS.

4 minutes ago, birchgauze said:

And what about if I would need transcoding for streaming?

That's also not specifically a NAS-feature. They just typically run Plex for that and you can run Plex under Windows as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why would you need a virtual machine for. nas here, Id just setup a smb share on windows and then devices on your network can access files from it. Performance wise it will be fine, it talkes almost nothing these days to fill a gigabit line with data.

Combine your disks using standalone storage spaces and share it via iSCSI/SMB share. It will be more than enough. If you still wants to run linux, install it on bare-metal and use MDRAID for the HDD drives and configure filesharing via NFS/SMB or block access via iSCSI