Sleeper PC

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Never lost a package with usps.  Ups, yes, but not usps.

Mine has been "in transit" from indianapolis for the past 17 days. you could walk from there to here in less time. USPS has lost two packages for us from amazon in December.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

Mine has been "in transit" from indianapolis for the past 17 days. you could walk from there to here in less time. USPS has lost two packages for us from amazon in December.

That’s a stupendously large amount.  2 package from the same sender to a particular address in a single month.  Big enough I’d suspect a porch pirate problem or something.     Time to use tracking or something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That’s a stupendously large amount.  2 package from the same sender to a particular address in a single month.  Big enough I’d suspect a porch pirate problem or something.     Time to use tracking or something.

its the local post office. they refuse to deliver to our house because they cant just chuck it to the porch from the street. I watched the mail truck drive by and then USPS said that they had never received it and had no idea where it could be. (USPS tracking number provided, deemed undeliverable due to "obstruction" which was an open driveway and porch)

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

its the local post office. they refuse to deliver to our house because they cant just chuck it to the porch from the street. I watched the mail truck drive by and then USPS said that they had never received it and had no idea where it could be. (USPS tracking number provided, deemed undeliverable due to "obstruction" which was an open driveway and porch)

In such an instance the package isn’t lost, you just have to go to the post office to pick it up.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

In such an instance the package isn’t lost, you just have to go to the post office to pick it up.

the problem is that they don't have it anymore. it "disappears"... there is no trace of it once it gets there. its one mail carrier that is doing it, but the union is so strong that he can't be touched.

39 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

the problem is that they don't have it anymore. it "disappears"... there is no trace of it once it gets there. its one mail carrier that is doing it, but the union is so strong that he can't be touched.

Doesn’t work that way.  A mail carrier that takes packages goes to jail.  There are some really really toothy laws regarding the mail.  Postal inspector is one of the most powerful legal positions in the United States.  The USPS may be one of the very few companies with a functioning union left but they dont have the kind of power Youre attributing to them.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Doesn’t work that way.  A mail carrier that takes packages goes to jail.  There are some really really toothy laws regarding the mail.  Postal inspector is one of the most powerful legal positions in the United States.  The USPS may be one of the very few companies with a functioning union left but they dont have the kind of power Youre attributing to them.

that may be true, but if it was never delivered from the post office and it is not at the post office, where does it go? and its not just us who have had this happen. 

52 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

that may be true, but if it was never delivered from the post office and it is not at the post office, where does it go? and its not just us who have had this happen. 

A question for a postal inspector that they might be quite interested in answering. 

The package appeared again, this time rather close to me, but immediately departed the facility again. No idea where it's going now. The backup board from Amazon did arrive though. So if this one disappears permanently, I'll go with the downflgrade from Amazon. If it actually arrives, I'll return the one from Amazon

..after contacting USPIS?...hmm...

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

..after contacting USPIS?...hmm...

Nah, USPIS was not needed..... If it stretched into mid January it was gonna be a problem

• 1 month later...

Glad you got what you wanted 🙂  there are some drive lights on there I want expecting to be lit.  Better than expected result I guess.  Looks like a machine from back when I was thin.  I kinda wish I had a 5 1/4” floppy drive to send you so you could REALLY scare folks with it.  They’re long gone though.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Glad you got what you wanted 🙂  there are some drive lights on there I want expecting to be lit.  Better than expected result I guess.  Looks like a machine from back when I was thin.  I kinda wish I had a 5 1/4” floppy drive to send you so you could REALLY scare folks with it.  They’re long gone though.

I've got the 3.5 ones, the front power light was pretty simple to hook up with a light+switch pack I got. The drive activity light works as well, just need to move the LED up a little so it's brighter. The original power button and reset have no function except for being lit up and holding lights. Routed the new power switch through the floppy aux port and then used poster putty to keep it in place. I was hesitant to put the ASRock sticker on, and then I was like "it's like kragers on a POS car" temps run in the neighborhood of 78-84°C under load from the GPU and that's not including an extra fan I included to force more cool air into the card. With the extra fan, it's in the 74-80°C range. One thing I will say is that it probably weighs like 35-40lbs fully loaded.

5 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I've got the 3.5 ones, the front power light was pretty simple to hook up with a light+switch pack I got. The drive activity light works as well, just need to move the LED up a little so it's brighter. The original power button and reset have no function except for being lit up and holding lights. Routed the new power switch through the floppy aux port and then used poster putty to keep it in place. I was hesitant to put the ASRock sticker on, and then I was like "it's like kragers on a POS car" temps run in the neighborhood of 78-84°C under load from the GPU and that's not including an extra fan I included to force more cool air into the card. With the extra fan, it's in the 74-80°C range. One thing I will say is that it probably weighs like 35-40lbs fully loaded.

Well yeah.  Metal used to be cheaper.  Older stuff uses thicker metal.  Also you’ve got 3 extra mechanical drives in there whether you use em or not.  Those things often had cast frames for vibration resistance.  Bright side is lots of weight can mean less noise.  Temps sound fine.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well yeah.  Metal used to be cheaper.  Older stuff uses thicker metal.  Also you’ve got 3 extra mechanical drives in there whether you use em or not.  Those things often had cast frames for vibration resistance.  Bright side is lots of weight can mean less noise.  Temps sound fine.

Two gutted shells of floppy drives and an IDE optical drive that weighs like 2 lbs by itself. I am quite pleased at the temps given that it's not got awesome airflow and the RX480 reference design is a toasty card. Currently have a 5% overclock (Radeon settings slider) on the card and boosted the memory frequency to 2100MHZ.