Thief - 2014

MajorChipHazard

So I just beat Thief...

I went into the game with low expectations, and little hope for a great experience.

However I was kind of surprised, it isn't all that bad.  The game play in my opinion was fairly good.  I had also previously just beaten Splinter Cell Blacklist the day before, and was already in a stealthy kind of game mood. ( Yes I understand that splinter cell stealth idea is far different from the Thief stealth idea )

Anyways, the story was what let me down.  It started off fairly strong, and kind of trailed off as I went along.  Things got more and more convoluted and less explained as I progressed, and towards the last 1/4 of the game I was rather confused.  It took me multiple tries of a certain level to completely understand what I was doing and why I was there.  However, during the beginning of the game things were better explained and more thoroughly run through.

Overall, I enjoyed the visuals, although they weren't stunning, looked nice.  I stopped to admire some very nice looking cobblestone streets and brick walls with alot of heavy tessellation, (Running on max settings).

The gameplay felt smooth, although during some scenes fraps was reporting I was getting 50 FPS, yet my eyes were telling me it was more like 20 for some reason, I'm not sure if that's some kind of driver issue or whatever, but it was really distracting, but only seemed to happen in areas such as the stone market or whatever its called.  

The actual thievery of the game was a bit finicky at times for me.  I sometimes found myself getting caught by guards over and over again in one spot because there are 4 or 5 things in close proximity to eachother, and I have to cycle through a lengthy grabbing animation 5 times, which in turn got me caught.  I would have liked to see a quicker animation at the cost of a louder noise that could perhaps draw a guards attention if repeated too much?

What are your guy's thoughts on the game?  

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

I paid $24 for it + DLC on Sunday and got about 40mins through it before I got sick of it stuttering on the low settings at 720p.

Sure my system is a bit old but it shouldn't run that bad. *waits for GTX780 upgrade on the weekend*

Though it did seem interesting to me I only bought it because it was cheap and I was considerably bored.

I'm surprised anyone bothered to play more than 2 hours, honestly.

I'm surprised anyone bothered to play more than 2 hours, honestly.

lol, exactly how long I lasted and gave up on bothering with it... bored as hell.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I paid $24 for it + DLC on Sunday and got about 40mins through it before I got sick of it stuttering on the low settings at 720p.

Just turn off the AA. It stuttered a lot for me until I realized that I just had to turn off the AA, then it ran butter smooth on the highest settings.

I thought the story was pretty good. It's not award winning, but it's interesting enough and it has a bit of mystery and "mysticism" to it which I like. My only big problem with it is the poor level design.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."