Why is my monitor humming louder, and louder?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Capacitors degrading due to heat can cause switching transformers to work outside their normal operating range, and start to overheat or vibrate.

That old monitor also uses fluorescent tubes instead of led backlight. Those fluorescent tubes need around 1100v to start and work so there's a 20v power supply inside the monitor and a boost circuit which takes that 20v and boosts it all the way up to that 1000v needed by the fluorescent tubes to work. If the capacitors feeding the circuit go bad, that switching transformer will go outside its design and vibrate and overheat and can get to the point where it breaks down.

Also, it's a common failure mode for the wires that connect to the actual fluorescent tubes to disconnect from the terminals of the tube, the ends overheat to the point where the solder melts and the wires make imperfect contact. The noise could be sparks, electricity jumping from the wire to the fluorescent tube terminals or sparks between the wire and the actual housing (the metal sheet in the back of the lcd panel covering the backlight

Either way it's not safe to keep using it like that.

You should absolutely unplug it and open it up and take some pictures of the boards ... me or someone else can point you to what's damaged, suggest replacement parts and you could fix it or have someone good with a soldering iron fix it. It can be a 5-10$ fix.

Opening it is also the only way to inspect the wires going to the fluorescent tubes and check if they're broken/loose/arc'ing (which is a danger)

image.png.07550945843ef361853a7c6ded6f6e69.png

So I turned on my desktop today and my monitor started humming quietly so I brushed it off as the fans starting, but the humming only got louder, and louder. Right now its so loud that it hurts my ears.

•  

6 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

monitor or the desktop/laptop? What monitor do you have?

Samsung sync-master 192N

Capacitors degrading due to heat can cause switching transformers to work outside their normal operating range, and start to overheat or vibrate.

That old monitor also uses fluorescent tubes instead of led backlight. Those fluorescent tubes need around 1100v to start and work so there's a 20v power supply inside the monitor and a boost circuit which takes that 20v and boosts it all the way up to that 1000v needed by the fluorescent tubes to work. If the capacitors feeding the circuit go bad, that switching transformer will go outside its design and vibrate and overheat and can get to the point where it breaks down.

Also, it's a common failure mode for the wires that connect to the actual fluorescent tubes to disconnect from the terminals of the tube, the ends overheat to the point where the solder melts and the wires make imperfect contact. The noise could be sparks, electricity jumping from the wire to the fluorescent tube terminals or sparks between the wire and the actual housing (the metal sheet in the back of the lcd panel covering the backlight

You should absolutely unplug it and open it up and take some pictures of the boards ... me or someone else can point you to what's damaged, suggest replacement parts and you could fix it or have someone good with a soldering iron fix it. It can be a 5-10$ fix.

Opening it is also the only way to inspect the wires going to the fluorescent tubes and check if they're broken/loose/arc'ing (which is a danger)

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Thank you so much, I never knew my sync master had florescent back lighting. 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

ill send a few images in a few minutes

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv