CPU/Mobo Upgrade Questions

B1tPhreak
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

b550 board is fine, it won't affect how the gpu works at all.

as for cpu, the 3600 is already quite cheap compared to the announced price of the 5600x. i don't think it will decrese much more. if a 5600 non-x is launched for cheaper, that might push the 3600 price down a bit, but I don't think that will happen this year.

Budget (including currency): 600$ CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: N/A

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): GTX 970, 1080p 144hz

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. This is mostly a question cpu/mobo price predictions

I'm planning on upgrading my machine on a bit of a budget.  

I'm going from an intel i7-2600k to a ryzen 5 3600/3600x/5600x.

I'm wondering if anyone has an inclination on how prices of Zen 2 CPUs and X570 motherboards may be affected by Zen3 release in early Nov.

Question 1: If im going to get a Zen 2 CPU does it make sense to wait?

Question 2: I'm never the type to get the enthusiast level video card(1080ti/2080ti), I generally go with the midrange performance option(GTX 970) of the current generation. With future midrange GPU upgrade in mind is a B550 board fine or should I get a x570 board?

1 minute ago, B1tPhreak said:

Question 1: If im going to get a Zen 2 CPU does it make sense to wait?

Price should drop slightly, but it might take a while. The first major drop off in price usually happens 1-2 months after new CPUs become available.

6 minutes ago, B1tPhreak said:

Question 2: I'm never the type to get the enthusiast level video card(1080ti/2080ti), I generally go with the midrange performance option(GTX 970) of the current generation. With future midrange GPU upgrade in mind is a B550 board fine or should I get a x570 board?

GPU and Mobo don't really matter. As long as the mobo has a recent enough PCIe revision to avoid bottlenecking, that pairing doesn't matter. CPU/Mobo is much more important, and for R5, B550 will be perfectly fine.

b550 board is fine, it won't affect how the gpu works at all.

as for cpu, the 3600 is already quite cheap compared to the announced price of the 5600x. i don't think it will decrese much more. if a 5600 non-x is launched for cheaper, that might push the 3600 price down a bit, but I don't think that will happen this year.