Computer shuts down in gpu intensive games/benchmarks

mikat
Go to solution Solved by mikat,

I just wanted to say that we figured it out whilst I was writing this but I didn't wanna throw this post away so other people in the future could benefit from our findings: the included fans in the meshify C only go up to 1200 rpm and we had to max them out all the time to get acceptable southbridge (chipset) temperatures, they were going up steadily while running furmark, gonna order him a noctua NF-A14 to fix the problem and get him some more airflow

Hey, it's been a while since I posted here :)

I built my friend's new gaming rig, the specs are as follows:
Ryzen 7 3700x

Asrock X570 Pro4

MSI RTX 3080 Ventux 3X 10G OC
Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Corsair RM850x (2018)
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

The problem is is that it keeps shutting down under in heavy loads, if we turn on furmark for the gpu and cinebench for the cpu its under a minute until it shuts down.

In most games it's fine but in PUBG & other gpu bound titles (so CS:GO is not a problem, no shutdowns)

The PSU has already been turned with the fan down but that didn't help either.

The GPU is connected with two seperate cables from the power supply to each 8 pin connector.

The only real tweaks we made was in the bios where we turned on XMP (duh) and used asrock's built in utility to find the lowest fan speeds for our fans and make fan curves.

The fan tweaking was because the x570 chipset fan was loud compared to the rest of the system which was pretty much silent.

I just wanted to say that we figured it out whilst I was writing this but I didn't wanna throw this post away so other people in the future could benefit from our findings: the included fans in the meshify C only go up to 1200 rpm and we had to max them out all the time to get acceptable southbridge (chipset) temperatures, they were going up steadily while running furmark, gonna order him a noctua NF-A14 to fix the problem and get him some more airflow

11 minutes ago, mikat said:

What did you use to measure the chipset? I'm surprised an X570 board would have a chipset problem.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

49 minutes ago, mikat said:

Huh... Never thought it would be this issue

Was the GPU kicking out too much heat?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Huh... Never thought it would be this issue

Was the GPU kicking out too much heat?

yeah, the massive 3 fan gpu cooler is right over that little heatsink (tbh the heatsink and fan shoulda been better quality), but 2 NF-A14s are coming to fix the problem

4 hours ago, mikat said:

HWMonitor shows southbridge temperatures, they were creeping up about 2c per minute in furmark 

To what temp range?  I'm curious what range is too much.

HWMonitor never  measured my southbridge correctly.  It always said it was like 200C.  Scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it.  😄

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440