Windows and Linux File Sharing

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me to setup network file sharing between my Linux HTPC and my main Windows PC.

I tried different distros such as OpenSUSE, Fedora, Zorin, XBMCBuntu but I'm not able to congifure it

what are you running now? (so that I could type the CLI commands to set it up)

anyway, what you need to install is the samba-package. Samba or SMB is the windows file server/client component.

search for "samba" in your package manager and install.

After that it will just work, except when you don't have SMB allowed in your firewall for instance.

You need two things coming through in your firewall to drag and drop from/to windows governed network volumes: basic network tools and samba.

what are you running now? (so that I could type the CLI commands to set it up)

anyway, what you need to install is the samba-package. Samba or SMB is the windows file server/client component.

search for "samba" in your package manager and install.

After that it will just work, except when you don't have SMB allowed in your firewall for instance.

You need two things coming through in your firewall to drag and drop from/to windows governed network volumes: basic network tools and samba.

Right now I'm running ZorinOS. I installed Samba through package manager. It shows my windows network but it says 0 bytes over there. Even though i have shared stuff.

I could post you an smb.conf file if you tell me what features you want in it, I'm obviously not posting my smb.conf, as you don't need to know my workgroup or the services that are active or the way and sequence NetBIOS is resolved or not resolved LOL.

Right now I'm running ZorinOS. I installed Samba through package manager. It shows my windows network but it says 0 bytes over there. Even though i have shared stuff.

You're lacking a package called cifs-vfs. Install it and it will work.

I could post you an smb.conf file if you tell me what features you want in it, I'm obviously not posting my smb.conf, as you don't need to know my workgroup or the services that are active or the way and sequence NetBIOS is resolved or not resolved LOL.

You may do as you wish. 

Good luck.

Okay I'll try insatlling cifs-vfs

Yes.

Do you want passwordless login? 

I installed SMB4K. My workgroup is visible now. I just need to know which username and password is being asked.

1. Change security = user in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

2. Run smbpasswd $username, username needs to exist on the Linux server.

3. Restart samba, /etc/init.d/samba restart

4. Monitor log: tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd 

5. Try connecting from windows machine.