Budget audiophile speakers

Ry4nDuffy

Hi,

Im looking for my first proper set of speakers to compliment my setup. I have been looking at the audioengine A5+ and quite like them. However, they are rather expensive. I was wondering what options exist for high grade but affordable speakers. I think a 2.0 bookshelf setup suits best as it would fit on my desk very nicely.

I am an audio noob so I don't really know how to make comparisons between speakers. I have just been looking at different specs and to be honest guessing which one I think is better.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out by explaining how to critically compare speakers and what to look for in them. Also, what sort of price range should I be looking to spend on them? I would like speakers at that price to performance sweetspot, where they give me a really nice sound but not over the top to the stage I can't or can barely hear the difference. Also, is a DAC necessary and if so what sort of DAC should I be looking to buy?

Thank you for any help,

Ryan

What is your budget? It's up to you how much you want to spend. Everyone values money differently.

I don't really have a budget as Im trying to work out what the sweetspot is first to decide how much to spend. But I was thinking around £500 maximum.

what country are you in? and how much?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

how can budget and audiophile go in the same sentence???

"I'm looking for audiophile grade speakers but I'm on a budget" there you go.

No but seriously, what's the budget ?

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I've been perfectly happy with my SP2500s. While they aren't audiophile grade I guess they're still rather amazing.

Im thinking £500 But I am prepared to go over if I need to in order to hit that price to performance sweetspot

Audioengine A2 and A2+ are great options.

Swan D1080-IV

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

it was a joke.........

Thanks for the suggestions, but of course speakers are very personal as different people like to listen to music in slightly different ways. How can I compare these speakers to chose the best option?

Thanks for the suggestions, but of course speakers are very personal as different people like to listen to music in slightly different ways. How can I compare these speakers to chose the best option?

You are right. Speakers are extremely subjective to each listeners own ears and furthermore, some brands/lines of speakers will sound much better when used in specific applications such as Movies vs Music (even type of genre) and even more specifically, the type of gear driving them.

An important thing to look for would be the sound characteristics of a speaker, meaning, what kind of sound does it have. Examples of this are, does the speaker sound forward? neutral? bright? harsh? etc. You need to decide what kind of sound you are partial to before blinding buying an "audiophile" speaker.

The only way you can compare and choose the best option is to go demo a bunch of stuff in several stores (if possible) then pick what sounds best to you and is within your price range.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

You are right. Speakers are extremely subjective to each listeners own ears and furthermore, some brands/lines of speakers will sound much better when used in specific applications such as Movies vs Music (even type of genre) and even more specifically, the type of gear driving them.

An important thing to look for would be the sound characteristics of a speaker, meaning, what kind of sound does it have. Examples of this are, does the speaker sound forward? neutral? bright? harsh? etc. You need to decide what kind of sound you are partial to before blinding buying an "audiophile" speaker.

The only way you can compare and choose the best option is to go demo a bunch of stuff in several stores (if possible) then pick what sounds best to you and is within your price range.

This ^^^

And just remember that they will sound a little different in your home environment to how they sound in the show room. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Focal Chorus v700. DAC isn't highly necessary but recommended. If strapped for cash pick up a Fio.

Thank you very much for the help

M audio bx5 d2 are pretty neat

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Have a look at the Klipsch 2.1 as well. I love mine and not too pricey. Again, not really audiophile grade per se but they have great crystal highs and phenomenal bass.

I love my fluance sx6s, they are amazing. (thank you zeos) a dac and good amp are required for any setup. I have the cheapo behringer dac and a topping tp21 amp, I like the amp because it gives me a good headphone amp too, so I could get the cheap dac. Check out reddit.com/r/zeos for suggestions, he also has great youtube reviews and responds really quickly on his subreddit. So far his recommendations have never steered me wrong.

I love my fluance sx6s, they are amazing. (thank you zeos) a dac and good amp are required for any setup. I have the cheapo behringer dac and a topping tp21 amp, I like the amp because it gives me a good headphone amp too, so I could get the cheap dac. Check out reddit.com/r/zeos for suggestions, he also has great youtube reviews and responds really quickly on his subreddit. So far his recommendations have never steered me wrong.

how can budget and audiophile go in the same sentence???

Usally with stolen of thief