How to get a RX 550 folding in Linux Mint 19.3

Edit:

Issue resolved. Here is what I did to get this working... I tried a lot of things, so I'm guessing what actually worked. Later I might take a clean install and confirm these steps:

Download:
amdgpu-pro-20.10-1028677-ubuntu-18.04
from here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-lin-20-10-early-preview

extract:

edit:
/etc/os-release (can use: sudo nano /etc/os-release to do so)
changing
ID=linuxmint
to
ID=ubuntu
changing
VERSION_ID="19.1"
to
VERSION_ID="18.04"

After the driver install these values can be changed back

In the amdgpu-pro-20.10-1028677-ubuntu-18.04 folder that was extracted before run:
./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal,legacy --headless

I think because Mint uses a wrapper script for apt the "-y" in most other directions causes to the install to fail. I didn't need to install both versions of opencl, but to simplify things and these directions I did.

Add the account that will later run FAH to the video group:

sudo usermod -aG video fahclient

This is the part where my understanding is the most shaky, and where I originally got stuck.. It seems that by default the user account that runs FAH it won't have access to the video card\the opencl that was installed. To get around this people are running FAH differently to make sure FAH is run as the "fahclient" user which was provided access to the video card in the last step.

Run:
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/FAHClient.service

Enter the following text:
[Unit]
Description=Folding@Home Client
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/FAHClient /etc/fahclient/config.xml --pid-file=/var/run/fahc$
PIDFile=/var/run/fahclient/fahclient.pid
User=fahclient
RuntimeDirectory=fahclient
WorkingDirectory=~

[Install]

Save this file

Run:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo systemctl start FAHClient.service

So the service starts automatically:
sudo systemctl enable FAHClient.service

I started the service and FAH started working. I've not rebooted the machine yet... but I assume this last bit will work (will update if I reboot and test this)

When you open FAHControl, does it show OpenCL as supported?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d183f83d8ecc9385d0e059843bd6cfb3.png

Based on your log it gets assigned work from a work server, so why would you suspect something is wrong with the GPU on that?

~edit:

This is the content of my /etc/systemd/system/foldingathome.service:

[Service]
User=fah
Group=fah
WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/fah
ExecStart=/usr/bin/FAHClient --config /var/lib/fah/config.xml --chdir=/var/lib/fah

The /var/lib/fah directory must contain the config.xml and be owned by the fah-user account.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

in FAHcontrol the GPU slot always says "ready" and no work unit downloads, no matter how long you wait. I'm also pretty sure 192.0.2.1 is not a valid work server; it's something that FAH assigns to cards that it doesn't like. I had a GT 710 that had the same problem. In that case I needed to manually assign GPU or cuda index to 0 (and remember which), and then a proper work server was assigned and it started folding. ETA for that one work unit was three days though, so the GT 710 ended up in the bin, and I'm trying a RX 550 :P

3 minutes ago, Intrinsic said:

in FAHcontrol the GPU slot always says "ready" and no work unit downloads, no matter how long you wait. I'm also pretty sure 192.0.2.1 is not a valid work server; it's something that FAH assigns to cards that it doesn't like. I had a GT 710 that had the same problem. In that case I needed to manually assign GPU or cuda index to 0 (and remember which), and then a proper work server was assigned and it started folding. ETA for that one work unit was three days though, so the GT 710 ended up in the bin, and I'm trying a RX 550 :P

In my config.xml my GPU is simply assigned as slot 0. CUDA is not a thing for AMD, you need OpenCL. You can try installing "opencl-amd" and/or "opencl-mesa". I've got both installed on my system. Other than that, I use the "xf86-video-amdgpu" driver, i.e. the open source one.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Sorry. I'm tired and didn't ready your first reply properly :S

Edit

I think I got it working! Thank you for the help :)

@Eigenvektor

Edit 2:

If anyone is in the same boat here is roughly what I did. I tried a lot of things, so I'm guessing what actually worked. Later I might take a clean install and confirm these steps:

Download:
from here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-lin-20-10-early-preview

extract:

edit:
/etc/os-release (can use: sudo nano /etc/os-release to do so)
changing
ID=linuxmint
to
ID=ubuntu
changing
VERSION_ID="19.1"
to
VERSION_ID="18.04"

After the driver install these values can be changed back

In the amdgpu-pro-20.10-1028677-ubuntu-18.04 folder that was extracted before run:
./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal,legacy --headless

I think because Mint uses a wrapper script for apt the "-y" in most other directions causes to the install to fail. I didn't need to install both versions of opencl, but to simplify things and these directions I did.

Add the account that will later run FAH to the video group:

sudo usermod -aG video fahclient

This is the part where my understanding is the most shaky, and where I originally got stuck.. It seems that by default the user account that runs FAH it won't have access to the video card\the opencl that was installed. To get around this people are running FAH differently to make sure FAH is run as the "fahclient" user which was provided access to the video card in the last step.

Run:
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/FAHClient.service

Enter the following text:
[Unit]
Description=Folding@Home Client
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/FAHClient /etc/fahclient/config.xml --pid-file=/var/run/fahc$
PIDFile=/var/run/fahclient/fahclient.pid
User=fahclient
RuntimeDirectory=fahclient
WorkingDirectory=~

[Install]

Save this file

Run:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo systemctl start FAHClient.service

So the service starts automatically:
sudo systemctl enable FAHClient.service

I started the service and FAH started working. I've not rebooted the machine yet... but I assume this last bit will work (will update if I reboot and test this)