Higher end x470 board

zFox

Hey, I am looking to get a strong x470 board that has at least 2 m.2 slots, as well as good Vrms and some nice features.

I was looking between these 2

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-X470-AORUS-Gaming-WIFI/dp/B07BVNYFM2
And

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Wi-Fi/dp/B07C5JKH91

If you had your choice between the 2, which one would you go with?
Any other good x470 boards you can recommend?

Why specifically X470? B550 seems to be the better choice in basically every metric.

Those two are both very high-end great boards, you can't go wrong with either. (Personally I'd pick the gigabyte because I like the look better, but check the motherboard tier list in my signature if you want to know the VRM performance of each)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Why specifically X470? B550 seems to be the better choice in basically every metric.

unless OP wants to use a second gen CPU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

unless OP wants to use a second gen CPU

But then why such high-end boards?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I would also recommend going with B550 or x570 motherboards, instead of x470.

Really, the only reason you'd want x470 is ability to split the x16 slot into 2 x8 slots ... but x570 also has that ability.

The only other reason would be SLI, but that's pretty much on its way out, retired by nVidia.

If it's about support for Ryzen 2xxx series processors, x570 motherboards support them.

As x470 boards are low stock their price is high and few models are available.. while there's good x570 boards which are cheap enough to be worth buying instead of x470 boards.

See Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite as a cheap good model.... asus x570 tuf gaming plus is good for the money (but here it's more expensive) ...

No matter what you choose, for good upgrade options, you'll want at least 2 greens and one yellow on first tab  (v1.4) or  at least 3 green checks in the middle columns on 2nd tab v1.5 on this link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview#

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

But then why such high-end boards?

better drop-in upgrade capability in the future? possibly inexpensive at a local shop?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Those two are both very high-end great boards, you can't go wrong with either. (Personally I'd pick the gigabyte because I like the look better, but check the motherboard tier list in my signature if you want to know the VRM performance of each)

I want to build a pc that will last a long time, and is reliable as well as quiet. I am looking to put in a 3rd gen 3950x so I need a motherboard that can support it well and stable.

I am reluctant on x570 because the chipset fan, I don't want to risk it going out a few years down the line or any noise it may produce. When is the chipset at significant load in x570 motherboards? I heard if you have 1 gpu and 1 nvme ssd you are not using the chipset. Would using a gen 3 nvem ssd on the pcie 4.0 chipset stress it enough for the fans to turn on?

I am considering the b550 motherboards, I would pair it with a wifi card and w7 os, (if I can get the usb's to work. So what is the best b550 boards higher end in their category?

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

I would also recommend going with B550 or x570 motherboards, instead of x470.

Really, the only reason you'd want x470 is ability to split the x16 slot into 2 x8 slots ... but x570 also has that ability.

The only other reason would be SLI, but that's pretty much on its way out, retired by nVidia.

If it's about support for Ryzen 2xxx series processors, x570 motherboards support them.

As x470 boards are low stock their price is high and few models are available.. while there's good x570 boards which are cheap enough to be worth buying instead of x470 boards.

See Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite as a cheap good model.... asus x570 tuf gaming plus is good for the money (but here it's more expensive) ...

No matter what you choose, for good upgrade options, you'll want at least 2 greens and one yellow on first tab  (v1.4) or  at least 3 green checks in the middle columns on 2nd tab v1.5 on this link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview#

I don't really consider x570 too much anymore because of for the potential for the chipset fan going out a few years down the line, or potential noise. I need it to last a long time. Is here any way to avoid the chipset fan turning on? Like using 2x pcie 3.0 nvme ssd instead of 4.0 ssds? I am thinking of getting the rtx 3080 would that affect the chipset? I am considering b550, but please keep in mind that I want to run w7 on the pc and x470 makes it a lot easier, although I would definitely likely go through the trouble if I can find a good and stable work around on a b550 board with w7, with 16 core 3950x.

2 hours ago, mariushm said: