NVIDIA driver failed to install, can't set new display to 100hz

Justin_

Hey guys, I just got the spectre 35" curved ultrawide 21:9 3440*1440 monitor (this one on amazon) and when I tried to open the NVIDIA control panel it wouldn't work. I used the NVIDIA experience thing to check that it was at 100hz, and surprise surprise it was only at 60hz.

So trying to get it to 100hz I tried the wipe and reinstall option in the installer and it failed.

So I tried DDU and reinstall, but it failed, however windows update installed it first, but that wouldn't let me open NVIDIA control panel either.

So I disconnected from the internet DDUed again, then attempted to install and it failed

So I DDUed, deleted remaining files, and attempted to install JUST the drivers. No Physx, no audio devices, nothing but the drivers and it failed.

What should I try to get NVIDIA control panel working, or is there any workaround to getting the monitor to 100hz?

Tried installing 456.71

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

What GPU is it?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

In the past, I have had to install the Nvidia control panel directly from the Microsoft store. Have you tried that?

Also have you made sure the cable used for the monitor (or rather, the port) is adequate? And you're not using an adapter?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

What GPU is it?

Sorry for leaving that out. it is a 1070

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

In the past, I have had to install the Nvidia control panel directly from the Microsoft store. Have you tried that?

Also have you made sure the cable used for the monitor (or rather, the port) is adequate? And you're not using an adapter?

Its a GTX 1070 so it should be DP 1.4 ready and upto the current standard, right?

1 minute ago, Justin_ said:

Its a GTX 1070 so it should be DP 1.4 ready and upto the current standard, right?

Display port should definitely not give issues so we can rule that out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Im currently on Windows 1903 not 2004, could that be an issue?

I installed the 2004 update and now the installer does not fail, but I still can't launch NVIDIA control panel

Ok, after actually reading the error I found a workaround.

image.png.236a604ff47c26c0161be66dc1c7c1c7.png

The error is that the file does not exist.

The workaround was installing the take ownership hack from How-To Geek, navigating to C:\Program Files and using Take Ownership on WindowsApps (hidden folder), then navigating to the NVIDIA folder in the WindowsApps folder, then manually launching nvCplUI.exe. This does not fix the issue on the context menu, but it is a workaround.

IT WORKED! Finally after like 2 hours of screwing with this I can play games at 100hz