Overclocking 5820k

Hey. 

I never overclocked CPU in my life and i have to do it because i need more out of this cpu.

I have h100i gtx and gigabyte ga x99 gaming 5.

I watched that and looks like setting for 4.5ghz with 1.3v is considered safe. Any tips before i do it? Its not for games. Just some work that uses cpu.

35 minutes ago, oskar23 said:

Hey. 

I never overclocked CPU in my life and i have to do it because i need more out of this cpu.

I have h100i gtx and gigabyte ga x99 gaming 5.

I watched that and looks like setting for 4.5ghz with 1.3v is considered safe. Any tips before i do it? Its not for games. Just some work that uses cpu.

@RejZoR mentioned earlier he’s got one of these.  Might have something.  Might not.  That video is pretty in depth.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Few pictures from my bios. I kinda know what in looking at but will need some help not to screw things around. Could i set boost up to 4.5ghz and make cpu be at this speed by changing power options in control panel by selecting high performance?

20201012_204331.jpg

20201012_204257.jpg

20201012_204411.jpg

20201012_204340.jpg

20201012_204331.jpg

I've tried bunch of guides and they were mostly useless for my system.

Personally, I'd just set the "CPU Clock Ratio" to 45 and CPU Vcore to 1.2V. Look through the BIOS for setting that says "Enhanced Multithreading" or "ALL Core Turbo" or something along those lines and set it to ENABLED (this will force all cores to run at overclocked speed). If it boots to desktop, then continue below, if it doesn't, try increasing voltage slowly up to max 1.3V until it boots fine. if it never boots, set it to 1.2V again and use CPU clock ratio of 44. Repeat.

Then download ASUS RealBench tool:

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

And run the "Benchmark" with 10 loops and only select "H.264 Video Encoding". If it passes, it should be stable for anything. If it crashes or locks up during those 10 loops, go to BIOS and slowly increase voltage up to max 1.3V until it gets stable. If it never gets stable at any voltage up to 1.3V, go the opposite way. Set again to 1.2V and try CPU clock ratio at 44. Repeat the testing.

There is also a second way that worked well for me on my particular motherboard. I just left CPU Vcore at AUTO and set CPU clock ratio to 45. As it turns out, AUTO was setting voltages basically the same as me doing it manually. You can try this and monitoring CPU voltage with CPU-Z program while CPU is doing the above benchmark to see if it's using too high voltages. If it's kept well under 1.3V you can even use AUTO. If it's at that or above, use own voltage instead to be safe as some motherboards are too generous with voltages on AUTO. Mine wasn't thankfully.

Ultimately, your goal should be reaching as high clock as possible with as low voltage as possible. This will ensure it runs fast and cool. There is no point in pumping more voltage if it's not needed as it'll just make more heat. The rest is basically systematic trial and error. i was fiddling with it through years and ended up at 4.6GHz at only 1.185V. And I haven't even touched any of the "advanced" settings like Loadline calibration or disabling power saving features as most "guides" suggest. It depends on power supply and motherboard, but at least you have decent cooling so that's a good start.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any particular issues during the process.

Well first try with 44 and auto vcore ended up with blue screen under load

Vcore was about 1.250v. I guess too low vor that speed?

I did 4.4ghz on 1.3v.

Temps go high in test but doesnt crash.

20201014_165017.jpg

20201014_165025.jpg

“High” is one word for it.  That’s a lot of heat.  What cooling solution do you have on that thing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

H100i gtx but it only reaches that  in asus realbench. I keep it under 80s in what i do.

I also think pump may be giving up on that thing after 5 years.

35 minutes ago, oskar23 said:

H100i gtx but it only reaches that  in asus realbench. I keep it under 80s in what i do.

I also think pump may be giving up on that thing after 5 years.

The pumps generally work or don’t. There isn’t a much of a halfway mark.  That said, it is an old pump.  When was it last repasted and remounted?

Edited by Bombastinator

I feel like this cooler has its days because after exchanging recently paste i had low 50s under load up to high 90s and it was before i overclocked. It really doesnt make sense. 

1 minute ago, oskar23 said:

I feel like this cooler has its days because after exchanging recently paste i had low 50s under load up to high 90s and it was before i overclocked. It really doesnt make sense. 

Does if the remount was bad.  That can happen.  Sometimes stuff just doesn’t go together well.

RealBench H.264 is quite unforgiving. It encodes H.264 video on all available threads and also uses AVX. My AiO is rarely really stressed, but in this test it always slowly creeps up to 88°C even though I never see this under normal conditions. It's still realistic test since it just encodes actual video for very long.

4.5 with 1.3V does it work? If not, I'd stick with 4.4 and slowly decrease voltage down from 1.3V and see where it doesn't work anymore. 4.4 is still pretty ok. I still don't know how I managed to get 4.6GHz out of it. At first I couldn't get it past 4.6GHz no matter what and then one day it just worked at 4.6. And now it's been running at 4.6GHz for months without a single crash. usually components degrade and you have to lower overclocks, but in my case it's starting to clock higher with time. Bizarre, but I'm not complaining :)

So on 4.5 i even freeze in bios. I just had to switch it back to 4.4 quickly.

Now im kinda nervous about decreasing voltage because i didnt expect to freeze there. 

I also replaced h100i gtx with another one. You can clearly see difference with temps. Something is wrong with pump.

20201016_183954.jpg