Red Dead Redemption 2 FPS drops

Dunkleosteus

Hello, 

I would very much appreciate your replies on the following topic:

The thing is I want to be able to play Red Dead Redemption 2 at a minimum of 60fps with the Hardware Unboxed suggested settings ( (131) Red Dead Redemption 2 Optimization [Part 1] Let's Greatly Improve PC Performance! - YouTube )

The game generally runs at 80-100 fps with the above settings on my PC, it only has occasional stutters in Saint Denis where the framerate drops abruptly every 30 to 60 seconds. It only drops to a minimum of 63-65 fps from 80-100 but due to the abrupt fps drops it stutters in a noticeable way. This is really annoying to me, so in order to fix this I tried the following:

- I set a framerate cap at 60fps in RTSS lower than the maximum drops I got without the cap in the hopes that this will solve the occasional drops. For the most part it does solve the problem but I still get very rare drops of 1-3 fps every few hours. So not only are the drops much lower, they are also much rarer (1 drop of 1-3 fps every 2 to 3 hours). It's much more playable this way but it still annoys me very much. These very rare drops happen not only in Saint Denis but also in other parts of the map.

Do you have any suggestions for me on how to get rid of these drops? How should I choose the framerate cap? Are there other things I could try? Should I use Nvidia control panel to set the cap or is RTSS better?

Note: I am playing at the Hardware Unboxed suggested settings with Vulkan api, my system configuration is as follows:

Intel Core I7 8700 non K

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F motherboard

2 x 16GB RAM Corsair at 2666

Asus ROG STRIX Nvidia GTX1080Ti graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb NVME as my Windows C drive

WD 1TB SSD Blue (this is where I install my games)

4 TB Seagate 5200 RPM as the storage drive

Dell 1920x1080 curved 27 inch monitor at 144HZ

Thank you!

PS: using the RDR2 included benchmark tool I got better minimum low fps than with Nvidia control panel.

RTSS = minimum FPS 50.1318, maximum FPS 76.8504, average FPS 60.0021

Nvidia control panel cap = minimum FPS 41.1667, maximum FPS 71.6733, average FPS 59.4569

No framerate cap = minimum FPS 36.8821, maximum FPS 128, average FPS 93.9011

No other programs are running in the background while playing excepting MSI Afterburner and RTSS

My maximum temps are 73C for Graphics card with 60FPS cap, 82C with no cap. The processor temps are below 65C while gaming.

Try DirectX and if it solves anything. I normally use the control panel to cap my fps when i want to.

Also have a look at this video for clarification:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.