G-sync a deciding factor?

83Endlesss

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GTX970 to either a RTX3080 or AMD "Big Navi".  Do you think G-sync should be a big deciding factor on switch card to buy? If Big Navi and the RTX3080 are close enough in performance, would I be missing a lot not using G-sync? I bought my monitor base on SRGB/Adobe RGB coverage and the 120Hz it can run at. The G-sync was a bonus at the time. Just wondering your thoughts. thanks.

Personally, I cant really game without it. When I tweak things and test different setups, I cringe at screen tearing now.. before I ever had a Gsync/Freesync monitor.. it never really bothered me or I never really noticed it.. but now?? its not something I think I could game without anymore. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd say an adaptive framerate monitor is a must for me. If you're not willing to sell your monitor to instead get a FreeSync and GSync compatible one, then maybe best to stick with Nvidia. If you're willing to change monitor, you're no longer restricted by monitor compatibility.

11 minutes ago, 83Endlesss said:

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GTX970 to either a RTX3080 or AMD "Big Navi".  Do you think G-sync should be a big deciding factor on switch card to buy? If Big Navi and the RTX3080 are close enough in performance, would I be missing a lot not using G-sync? I bought my monitor base on SRGB/Adobe RGB coverage and the 120Hz it can run at. The G-sync was a bonus at the time. Just wondering your thoughts. thanks.

For me it's not a deciding factor. I won't not buy a monitor just because it doesn't have G-sync/freesync. If I experience screen tearing, I would just lock the framerate in game to what my system can handle and set my monitor's refresh rate to the same hertz.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

If you already have the G-Sync monitor and intend to keep it, might as well just go with the 3080.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you already have the G-Sync monitor and intend to keep it, might as well just go with the 3080.

You might as well.

Everyone says wait for big navi, but every year everyone says wait for AMD but we always end up being disappointed.

I doubt AMD can match the 3080, heck right now they can't even match the 2080ti.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:41 PM, 83Endlesss said:

Hi all,

For me, it's the greatest computer tech invention since SSDs came along. It makes a huge difference in gaming. I can't imagine going back to a fixed rate monitor.

Just don't get the cheaper, old type TN panel!