Connecting GPU with 2 6+2 PCIe cables

CheekyBugger

I have another probably silly question.

I have a Corsair RMX 850 V2 (2018) and recently bought an Asus RTX 2070 Super Rog Strix OC Gaming. The gpu has 2 8 pin connectors so i wonder if it is worth it to use two separate 6+2 pin pcie cables instead of one cable with two 6+2 pin pcie connectors. I don´t mind the extra cable and mess if the results in the video are correct.

This jaystwocents video shows two cables is (slightly) better than one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL7KIVI_hJg&t=1s

Now i know that this is a quality power supply but if that´s the difference two cables can make i wan´t to do it. Are there any downsides to doing this though?

And the second question. Is my power supply multi rail or single rail? Can it be changed in software? I don´t know what it means exactly or how to find out from the box or the manual whether it is single or multi rail. 

The reason i´m asking is because IIRC a multi rail power supply can use one rail for each pcie cable and thus make it even safer/ stable or something like that.

All help is greatly appreciated

If you're able to use 2 separate cables then go for it. Typically using two separate cables is more stable if you're overclocking. If you're not overclocking, using just the single daisy chained 8 pin cable to 2 connectors should be fine.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

I believe your power supply is single-rail. You cannot change the configuration as the unit does not support Corsair Link. I also do not believe there are any downsides to using two separate cables other than consuming two connectors and having to deal with an additional cable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

57 minutes ago, CheekyBugger said:

I have a Corsair RMX 850 V2 (2018) and recently bought an Asus RTX 2070 Super Rog Strix OC Gaming. The gpu has 2 8 pin connectors so i wonder if it is worth it to use two separate 6+2 pin pcie cables instead of one cable with two 6+2 pin pcie connectors. I don´t mind the extra cable and mess if the results in the video are correct.

This jaystwocents video shows two cables is (slightly) better than one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL7KIVI_hJg&t=1s

Now i know that this is a quality power supply but if that´s the difference two cables can make i wan´t to do it. Are there any downsides to doing this though?

And the second question. Is my power supply multi rail or single rail? Can it be changed in software? I don´t know what it means exactly or how to find out from the box or the manual whether it is single or multi rail. 

The reason i´m asking is because IIRC a multi rail power supply can use one rail for each pcie cable and thus make it even safer/ stable or something like that.

All help is greatly appreciated

You can actually do either, using the single daisy chain cable or 2 separate cables with the 2070 since that's not really a high power draw GPU.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 hour ago, CheekyBugger said:

The quality of the PSU only comes into play when talking about the gauge of the wire used for that PCIe cable.  That particular PSU uses 16g, which is better than the typically used 18g (a lot of the aftermarket cables, like the sleeved ones, only use 18g).

That said, remember Ohm's law.  As current goes up, resistance goes up, voltage goes down, so to meet a required wattage, more current needs to be delivered, and voltage goes down more.  Rinse repeat.

So OBVIOUSLY it's ALWAYS a better idea to use as many conductors as possible.  i.e. two cables.