xbox 360 wireless controller won't stay connected to adapter on PC

BroliviaWilde

to save myself time typing, KO = knock-off

My xbox 360 wireless controller keeps intermittently disconnecting from the xbox 360 wireless adapter, this started soon after Windows 10 on my pc finally updated itself to build 2004 about 2 months ago.

I've done the usual uninstall/reinstalling drivers for the adapter and controller, didn't help.  I started out with the MS official adapter and controller about 3 years ago, and those have worked great until that recent windows update.  Sadly, that rollback window to previous OS build has come and gone. 

Starting to want to pull my hair out, so I bought a brandnew KO wireless adapter and a brandnew KO wireless controller and they both exhibit the same behavior as the MS versions. using MS along with KO does the same.  In all scenarios, as soon as the wireless adapter is plugged in and the controller is turned on, the controller connects immediately. 

If it makes any difference, my pc setup is in my profile.  I haven't done a windows reinstall yet, and I really don't want to spend the time to do so unless I know for sure that it will fix the issue. 

Also, all other peripherals I've connected to my pc still work just fine.

I can't seem to find anything that can fix this intermittent behavior and I can't rollback to previous windows build.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Rock On!

This is a known issue, in 2004 old drivers may not work, you need to get it working manually.

This video helped me work on this.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

This is a known issue, in 2004 old drivers may not work, you need to get it working manually.

This video helped me work on this.

That's actually a good video, I've used it to install the KO xbox 360 wireless adapter.  What that video points out is that the hardware id for both the MS and KO versions have different last 4 digits in the id number.  it gives step-by-step on how to install the MS drivers and edit teh driver for the new hardware id of the KO version.  

But the video does not give info on how to fix the intermittent connection issue.  Again, I can install either wireless adapter and either controller will connect just fine.   It will randomly disconnect for various random length of times and then reconnect, that's the frustrating part.

Rock On!

• 6 months later...

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? It's SUPER annoying having my controller disconnect randomly for seconds at a time...Thank you

16 hours ago, KyleK1987 said:

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? It's SUPER annoying having my controller disconnect randomly for seconds at a time...Thank you

not that I know of.   I'm about to either buy a cheap wired controller or buy an xbone controller and a wireless adapter.  my son and I will be in a game like rocket league or in a coop game and the controller randomly disconnects.... it sucks

Rock On!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for digging up.

I had the same problem on Windows 10 21H1.

I followed the video instruction from part one, the controller worked, but it was randomly disconecting. I changing the driver version to 10.0.19041.1 [2019-12-06] as shown in part two of the video helped. I did't uninstall first driver. Now the controller works OK.

Drivers and manual from video autor.

https://tarantulo.lt/how-to/how-to-install-drivers-for-xbox-360-chinese-wireless-receiver/