how dose backblaze handle vibrations

34 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Quick question how did you get so into this i want to get my first job because my first idea of starting my own in our metal shop is not going to work right now because my grandparents had a big fite and my grandpa is staying there and he moved his cars out there and i cannot risk hitting them. Before you ask why i need this server is because we are still making files they are smaller 10-20gb but we all have drives full of ideas there are about 6 of us all with varying drive sizes this has been in the works for almost 2.5 years now.

You sound quite young, and to be honest, I doubt that this server will get made. BUT with that said, most people get into this by doing it as a job first. It's rare (but does occasionally happen) that home lab guys will set up a petabyte style server. It's just not needed for the vast majority of people. The cost of drives alone are out of reach for most people. 45 drives is extremely overkill.

Some quick math. Let's say you use 8tb drives. Put 6 of them in a double parity raid setup and you will have roughly (very rough estimate) 32 tb of space. That will gave you 1600 of your 20gb projects.

Be honest. Do you see yourself making 1600 projects in the next 5 years? That is close to one project a day without having a weekend or holiday.

I chose 5 years because I arbitrarily decided that is how long it will take for 8tb drives to EOL

the budget is no problem i have $4000 and i want to see how good i have gotten but i need this much storage because my friends cannot hand external hard drives to each other and we have almost 80-90 tb of stuff that we want to backup and be able to access everyone files and i am only 14 s i am young for this stuff and we are awlase working on files and my friends want to make a game to test out there skills i just make 3d models and keep/make everything sorry for the spelling mistakes if there are any i am tired i was at my local social distancing concert 

i would share the files here but the only ones i currently have on my computer are weapons/school projects and my main computer the power supply is bad so tomorrow i may go and get one.

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

That will get you 16 drives at most per card. Hope you have many Pci-e slots... 

That's a bit false.

You can use SAS expanders, and you usually can have like 240 drives per card, with enough expanders.

33 minutes ago, Nick7 said:

That's a bit false.

You can use SAS expanders, and you usually can have like 240 drives per card, with enough expanders.

Yea, i meant direct attached. I mis-spoke. I am still skeptical that this will ever see the light of day however.

26 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

HP 24-28 Bay Port 6Gb SAS SATA Expander Card Mini SAS 487738-001 468405-001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-24-28-Bay-Port-6Gb-SAS-SATA-Expander-Card-Mini-SAS-487738-001-468405-001/283464438655

From description:

Seller Notes: -Pulled from working server. This is a SAS/SATA expander, it is NOT a RAID card. You will need a RAID/HBA card already installed in your system for it to work. When used with a compatible card, it will add an additional 24 to 28 SATA or SAS devices. This card will work at 6Gbps with full duplex SAS drives for 3 Gbps half duplex SATA drives.

1 hour ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Yup that should work just fine., its an OEM version of a LSI 9211-8i (SAS 2008 Chipset). You might want to also check out the 9210-8i/9211-8i (theyre the same card just different packaging). 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

thank you the part picking is not my specialty i used to just buy whatever someone said i needed but i have been working on being less of an impulse buyer actually i would have bought 2 or 3 of those cards without double checking this forum over the last few weeks has probably saved me $200 us

On 10/10/2020 at 7:05 PM, Blue4130 said:

You sound quite young, and to be honest, I doubt that this server will get made. BUT with that said, most people get into this by doing it as a job first. It's rare (but does occasionally happen) that home lab guys will set up a petabyte style server. It's just not needed for the vast majority of people. The cost of drives alone are out of reach for most people. 45 drives is extremely overkill.

Some quick math. Let's say you use 8tb drives. Put 6 of them in a double parity raid setup and you will have roughly (very rough estimate) 32 tb of space. That will gave you 1600 of your 20gb projects.

Be honest. Do you see yourself making 1600 projects in the next 5 years? That is close to one project a day without having a weekend or holiday.

I chose 5 years because I arbitrarily decided that is how long it will take for 8tb drives to EOL

to be honest my friends and i can produce that much with all of our for fun projects but only about 10% of them see the light of day sorry for the late response  

i have started the test print because i do not need to worry about cost or time on the case and i will test the system with some of my old drives i would not trust with my data