Screen Tearing and Bad Fps on Good Machine

Hello, I built my pc a bit over a year ago, and I've been experiencing very annoying things. About 3 months ago I had problems with my PC turning off and realized that to fix it I just had to put a little pressure on the Gpu's PCB to make sure the VRMs were touching the cooling pads. This worked but lately I've noticed that games, although they run fine 160-230 fps, they don't feel like they do. I feel micro-stutters, screen tearing, and even some games like Apex Legends run on 160 fps but feel like it's running 30 fps. These micro-stutters happen out of games too, while moving windows around, for example, they stutter. I've tried a lot of things, changing many settings on Windows 10, trying in-game settings but nothing seems to work. I might have a clue because my psu has been unreasonably loud, maybe it has to do with the psu or the voltage that is going into it, I'm not sure how to test that, but yeah, the psu fans are running like 100% on games. It could also be thermal throttling since my gpu, which I bought renewed came with rather bad cooling and reaches a peak of 84 - 85°C while playing games. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated especially because watching videos of these games on my phone at 60fps looks smoother than on my screen at 144hz. I might consider changing my gpu and psu if nothing works, I just hope that there's a way to make it better. 

These are my specs: 

Ignore the price, they were cheaper back then.

Thank you all!

Looks to me like the gpu is thermally throttleing as 84 to 86 is very high. You should run anygame and then when your gpu hits that temp look at msi afterburner to see if your clock speed drops significantly. Also, is your gpu and cpu overclocked as maybe it could be pulling too much power. You can check the power draw of the cpu and the gpu power draw by using furmark and xtu, or whatwever you prefer. 

6 minutes ago, Noob872 said:

Looks to me like the gpu is thermally throttleing as 84 to 86 is very high. You should run anygame and then when your gpu hits that temp look at msi afterburner to see if your clock speed drops significantly. Also, is your gpu and cpu overclocked as maybe it could be pulling too much power. You can check the power draw of the cpu and the gpu power draw by using furmark and xtu, or whatwever you prefer. 

I might have to try this, but I do know that the cpu boosted itself from its base clock 3700 to 4400mHz, should I try turning cpu boost off? The cpu is pulling about 15-30W idle, it fluctuates a lot, sometimes recording spikes up to 80W.

Just now, TowersFlowers said:

I might have to try this, but I do know that the cpu boosted itself from its base clock 3700 to 4400mHz, should I try turning cpu boost off? The cpu is pulling about 15-30W idle, it fluctuates a lot.

no, cpu boost wont make a difference. Just did you overclcok it. What i mean by this is did you change frequency and wattage to the cpu. And ya try out what i suggested. 

Just now, Noob872 said:

no, cpu boost wont make a difference. Just did you overclcok it. What i mean by this is did you change frequency and wattage to the cpu. And ya try out what i suggested. 

I didn't overclock it, I will try and see if gpu clock goes down when it hits that 84C peak.

Just now, TowersFlowers said:

I didn't overclock it, I will try and see if gpu clock goes down when it hits that 84C peak.

ok 

First, you should limit the fps to 144. There is zero reason to run more. So that should get rid off most screan tearing.

And second, is your Card at least 10° too hot.

And when you had to press the PCB on the cooling pads? Something is wrong with it anyway.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Ok I got some info, GPU clock at its highest was at 1873, it dipped down to 1785 and had lows of 1700mHz, I also recorded fb usage which was a super low percentage, although I'm still not sure what this means. Gpu usage while in-game stood at 97% and dropped down when I alt-tabbed out of the game, I think that's normal. The temps were 84C in a match, and 70-80C in the lobby, I was playing Cod MW btw.

26 minutes ago, Noob872 said:

ok 

I sent, the benchmarks, I might have to try this on Apex Legends where the problem seems the worst.

20 minutes ago, Praesi said:

First, you should limit the fps to 144. There is zero reason to run more. So that should get rid off most screan tearing.

And second, is your Card at least 10° too hot.

And when you had to press the PCB on the cooling pads? Something is wrong with it anyway.

Limiting the fps to 144 doesn't make it feel better, it still feels bad. Yeah, my gpu was making my screen turn off and I found a video of a guy on yt who said he had the same problem and that it was gpu sag so he used zipties to close the gaps between the thermal pads and the vram and it worked. I just pressed them together and it worked for me, hasn't turned off again.

4 minutes ago, TowersFlowers said:

Limiting the fps to 144 doesn't make it feel better, it still feels bad. Yeah, my gpu was making my screen turn off and I found a video of a guy on yt who said he had the same problem and that it was gpu sag so he used zipties to close the gaps between the thermal pads and the vram and it worked. I just pressed them together and it worked for me, hasn't turned off again.

Lety try something simple first. Use the tool DDU and install a new driver afterwards.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

17 minutes ago, TowersFlowers said:

Ok I got some info, GPU clock at its highest was at 1873, it dipped down to 1785 and had lows of 1700mHz, I also recorded fb usage which was a super low percentage, although I'm still not sure what this means. Gpu usage while in-game stood at 97% and dropped down when I alt-tabbed out of the game, I think that's normal. The temps were 84C in a match, and 70-80C in the lobby, I was playing Cod MW btw.

i think ir looks like a gpu tmep problme as these temps are way to high you should be under 80. Also is your gpu overlcocked

4 minutes ago, Noob872 said:

i think ir looks like a gpu tmep problme as these temps are way to high you should be under 80. Also is your gpu overlcocked

Yeah, it probably is, and no, I've never overclocked anything really.

8 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Lety try something simple first. Use the tool DDU and install a new driver afterwards.

Isn't this the same as an nvidia clean install?

11 minutes ago, TowersFlowers said:

Isn't this the same as an nvidia clean install?

No.

It whipes your System clean of any Driver Information.

Just now, Praesi said:

No.

Ok I will try it

2 hours ago, Praesi said:

No.

I'm about to do it but it tells me it can't because I have to reboot into safe mode, any ideas? I'm not that good at this stuff hehe.

3 minutes ago, TowersFlowers said:

I'm about to do it but it tells me it can't because I have to reboot into safe mode, any ideas? I'm not that good at this stuff hehe.

You dont have to do safemod. Just run it normal.

15 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Ok I ran it, worked fine I suppose, It deleted my audio drivers and I forgot where to download those...

32 minutes ago, Praesi said:

I'll run another benchmark and let you know how it goes.

58 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Still haven't been able to get audio back, it says my headphones are unplugged even though they are. Any idea how to get it back?

4 hours ago, TowersFlowers said:

Still haven't been able to get audio back, it says my headphones are unplugged even though they are. Any idea how to get it back?

What about the GPU Driver?

Check your Windows sound settings. Maybe something is disabled.

6 minutes ago, Praesi said:

What about the GPU Driver?

Check your Windows sound settings. Maybe something is disabled.

Yeah, I did a windows update and that seemed to fix the audio. I ran some games and it felt better, less micro-stutters, the game even looked better for some reason. The only problem is this weird line artifact that goes up my screen when I move my screen sometimes. It looks a bit like tear but not quite, it's like a transparent line that goes up, not sure how to describe more than that.

3 minutes ago, TowersFlowers said:

Yeah, I did a windows update and that seemed to fix the audio. I ran some games and it felt better, less micro-stutters, the game even looked better for some reason. The only problem is this weird line artifact that goes up my screen when I move my screen sometimes. It looks a bit like tear but not quite, it's like a transparent line that goes up, not sure how to describe more than that.

Make a screenshot to see if its comming from the game or from the display.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Make a screenshot to see if its comming from the game or from the display.

I tried to make it happen again by playing the game, but it didn't happen. What happened instead was weird, this might just be overheating, because fps was smooth, it felt good but from time to time it felt a bit worse, as if there were less fps even though they stood still at 144fps.