lenovo y50-70 white and magenta screen

Dylan94

Hi everyone! 

so yesterday all of a sudden my pc started having this weird issue. Any screen, also the start page would turn from black to white and some sort of magenta tint, mainly white. The strange thing is that the pc somehow still operates: I was doing a backup(because I saw it happen once and I got scared) and in the middle the pc started shifting to the colors I mentioned, after I waited a bit I decided to put it on stand by and then I opened it again. The result was that the backup was at 98% while when it froze it was only at 45%. Another example is that while watching a youtube video with the chromecast on the tv I was able to pause and resume the video pressing the space bar but it would not operate in any other way.

I did see online that it could be the mobo and today I decided to open it. I did not see anything on the backside that could seem like a burnt part or things like that. I did also repaste the cpu and gpu for safety. I tried to boot into the Bios thinking that it could have been a virus and yes it stays black for 10 sec and then it starts shifting and then sometime magically it goes back and starts some flickering  and after a while it just goes to those colors without any way to recover it!!

I am actually sad that my old lenovo is like this. Do you guys have info to what it could be and what do you think would be the best route to go ?

p.s. no the screen is NOT reflecting, those are the real colors you can see on the screen

TL;DR my screen yesterday started to go white and magenta as in the pic. I don't understand why and when I opened it, it seemed fine.

20201006_142016.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dylan94 said:

but it would not operate in any other way.

Considering this it looks like a failing GPU. Maybe a dead panel. Can you connect to an external display and see if the problem occurs there?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

I tried it and  actually  it was working! now it's also working without a problem! it's strange... but maybe as you said could be the gpu!

21 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Considering this it looks like a failing GPU. Maybe a dead panel. Can you connect to an external display and see if the problem occurs there?

ok so yesterday night I have been editing on my pc without a problem, as soon as I stopped and started watching a video the pc started having the same problem. Moreover right now I am writing you from my pc linked to my tv via hdmi. The tv has no problem at all werease the monintor of my pc is doing the same white and magenta screen!!!

what can it be? the screen itself or the connector?

1 hour ago, Dylan94 said:

the screen itself or the connector?

It looks like a screen problem. Because you were connected to your tv fine. You would probably need to replace the display panel of the laptop.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 10/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Smit Devrukhkar said:

It looks like a screen problem. Because you were connected to your tv fine. You would probably need to replace the display panel of the laptop.

hello! I'm back just to say I was able to fix the problem!!!! as I was quite not sure that was a screen problem since it did work from time to time. I remember I bumped into the corner where my connector is seated and I actually removed the frame of the screen and reseated the connector and so far so good!!!