Could a clean driver install improve performance?

My PC was suffering of some artifacts and crashing (computer restart) in the recent days, the apparent cause was the 20.9.2 amd driver. I found a number of people reporting the same or a similar issue within the last week. I made a post  about it. Anyway, I used DDU to erase the drivers and proceded with a clean install, the issue seems to be gone. I haven't had any crashes while testing with 3D mark Timespy, Timespy Extreme, Forza Horizon 4, Control, Dota 2... What I find interesting is that I got more performance out of no where, I was consistently averaging 72 FPS on the benchmark of Forza Horizon 4 and now, with the exact same setting I get 82 FPS on avg. Control seems to be performing better as well. How is this possible?

It is possible that updates of drivers ontop of updates of drivers, over and over again made the driver inefficent, and gave you some extra fps.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I updated from 20.4.2 to 20.9.2 last week. Assassin's Creed Odyssey went from 71fps to 76fps. So we see some real improvement from AMD.