filezila host?

Ziondaman
Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,
10 hours ago, Ziondaman said:

yes i did that but how do i make so anybody can login

You need to read the manual. 

FTP you need to set a home directory, and create user/password for people to login with.

You could also create anonymous access but you need to make sure its secured properly. e.g jailed to a directory and read only

You can test connecting to it using Filezilla Client. Once its working internally then you can forward Port 21 on your router, to the IP address of the PC with Filezilla Server. 

12 hours ago, Ziondaman said:

so i dont have a router but i put in my ip and that happens the i try noip
same problem and i dont know why

I can guarantee with more than 1 PC you have a router. 

so i want to use filezila and is says it needs a host 
i have a domane but that dos not work 
so 

1 what dos it mean by host

2 how do i get a host 

3 can i sue a domain 

thx for helping :D 

The part where it says host etc, is for connecting remotely to another computer/NAS etc, so there you enter the hosts parameters for that connection eg sftp://192.168.1.5 then the password for that etc.

Then you can copy files etc from the computer you're using, to the connected host pc/NAS.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, Ziondaman said:

so 

2 how do i get a host 

3 can i sue a domain 

Filezilla works by connecting to a networked FTP/SFTP server by IP address or Hostname, and allowing you to browse it's folders and move data on and off of it. If you cannot access your domain from Filezilla, you probably FTP/SFTP disabled. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

The part where it says host etc, is for connecting remotely to another computer/NAS etc, so there you enter the hosts parameters for that connection eg sftp://192.168.1.5 then the password for that etc.

Then you can copy files etc from the computer you're using, to the connected host pc/NAS.

so can i use my ip or domaine 

Just now, BrinkGG said:

Filezilla works by connecting to a networked FTP/SFTP server by IP address or Hostname, and allowing you to browse it's folders and move data on and off of it. If you cannot access your domain from Filezilla, you probably FTP/SFTP disabled. 

so if i enabel that will my domaine woke?

2 minutes ago, Ziondaman said:

so if i enable that will my domain work?

(*corrected spelling*)

I have no idea. Can you give us more info on how you're hosting this domain? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, BrinkGG said:

i dont want to say 
but i buyed a domaine that will be name les for reasons 

but that it 

11 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

dos that help

12 minutes ago, Ziondaman said:

i dont want to say 
but i buyed a domaine that will be name les for reasons 

but that it 

3 minutes ago, Ziondaman said:

dos that help

So did you only buy the domain name, and no hosting option? If so, you have to host the webserver SOMEWHERE. The domain just points to an IP address where you host the website. That would be why you can't connect to it, there's nothing there. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

2 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

So did you only buy the domain name, and no hosting option? If so, you have to host the webserver SOMEWHERE. The domain just points to an IP address where you host the website. That would be why you can't connect to it, there's nothing there. 

so you are saying that if i fine the ip of the domaine it will work
ps a frind send me the domain i dont have any more info then that 

sorry if this is making it hard for you to help me 

5 minutes ago, Ziondaman said:

IF THERE IS A SERVER at that IP address. You need something to HOST the website. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

Just now, BrinkGG said:

IF THERE IS A SERVER at that IP address. You need something to HOST the website. 

ok that i understand now 
a smol stupid qeston 
can i use my  ip?

2 minutes ago, Ziondaman said:

ok that i understand now 
a smol stupid question
can i use my  ip?

If you host a webserver at your WAN address, and properly port forward that webserver through your router, then yes, but I don't recommend it if you have a slow internet connection. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

Just now, BrinkGG said:

If you host a webserver at your WAN address, and properly port forward that webserver through your router, then yes, but I don't recommend it if you have a slow internet connection. 

ok 

thx for helping

8 hours ago, Ziondaman said:

I think the big thing is you don't understand what a domain name is. A domain name is just an easily human readable way of directing you to an IP address. 

Think of it like taking a taxi to the white house. 

If you know the address, you can tell the driver to take you to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, in Washington DC. 

If you don't know the address, you tell him to take you to "The White House", which will be mapped to the above address. 

Same with domain names & IP addresses. 

If i wanted to visit Facebook, I go to www.facebook.com.....this domain name then directs my computer to connect to 157.240.8.35 which is the IP address for Facebook in my region. I can still visit it by going to http://157.240.8.35 but like commiting someones phone number to memory, I wont remember that. 

So with your domain, you need to have a host/server with a public IP address. Then with your domain registrar you point your domain name to the IP address of that server. 

e.g mywebsite.com will point to a IP address like 12.34.56.78 

If you're hosting this at home, you can go to something like http://ipinfo.io to see what your external IP address is, this is the IP address you would configure as the "A record" against your domain name. You then need to forward the ports to your server, if we're talking FTP then that's Port 21. https://portforward.com is a great resource for guides on how to port forward for most routers. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

18 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I think the big thing is you don't understand what a domain name is. A domain name is just an easily human readable way of directing you to an IP address. 

Think of it like taking a taxi to the white house. 

If you know the address, you can tell the driver to take you to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, in Washington DC. 

If you don't know the address, you tell him to take you to "The White House", which will be mapped to the above address. 

Same with domain names & IP addresses. 

If i wanted to visit Facebook, I go to www.facebook.com.....this domain name then directs my computer to connect to 157.240.8.35 which is the IP address for Facebook in my region. I can still visit it by going to http://157.240.8.35 but like commiting someones phone number to memory, I wont remember that. 

So with your domain, you need to have a host/server with a public IP address. Then with your domain registrar you point your domain name to the IP address of that server. 

e.g mywebsite.com will point to a IP address like 12.34.56.78 

If you're hosting this at home, you can go to something like http://ipinfo.io to see what your external IP address is, this is the IP address you would configure as the "A record" against your domain name. You then need to forward the ports to your server, if we're talking FTP then that's Port 21. https://portforward.com is a great resource for guides on how to port forward for most routers. 

ok i undersrand 
but i dont have a router i have a derik connet to the internet 
so wen i use my ip it dos not work and i get get fileziller sever to use my ip
and i cant config any settings so is hard for me to se what setting and i cant config so i am sump
so when it says host i dont know how to add a host or get a host 
but you made me understand a lot more the i did a day or 2 

1 minute ago, Ziondaman said:

ok i undersrand 
and i cant config any settings so is hard for me to se what setting and i cant config so i am sump

ps what i want to do is shere a file 
from a pal but i dont want to send it over websit/sending aka sms
all want is to send it theu pc to pc 

On 10/7/2020 at 7:18 AM, Ziondaman said:

ok i undersrand 

If you have more than 1 PC connected to the internet, then you have a router. 

So lets make something very clear.

There are two Filezilla's. There is Filezilla Server and Filezilla Client

For FTP, you must have a server running an FTP Server software like Filezilla Server.

Filezilla Server you just install, and it runs. Heres a screenshot of what it looks like...you can also see the IP address of my server internally is 192.168.1.204

image.thumb.png.ef734f0a51a03bac430c273340c43ebf.png

So to access the files on this server from another PC, I use Filezilla Client

In the Host I enter the IP address of my server which is 192.168.1.204. This IP address is on my local network, so will only work from a PC on my home network. 

image.png.e845776cbc866423a8f902c3a763d271.png

If your server is running Windows this is how you find your Internal IP address: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4026518/windows-10-find-your-ip-address

You also need to make sure you allow Port 21 or FileZilla Server through the Firewall on your server.

Once it's working internally, then you have to look at Port Forwarding on your router and your external IP address for external access (outside of your home)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 10/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, Ziondaman said:

so 

2 how do i get a host 

3 can i sue a domain 

1. Host is a server/computer with filezilla server or similar installed.

2. You're on a PC i'd assume? A PC can be a host as long as it serves something.

3. Yes you can use a domain name when you point the domain to the IP of the PC or server that runs a service. This will then be called a hostname.

7 hours ago, Jarsky said:

If you have more than 1 PC connected to the internet, then you have a router. 

So lets make something very clear.

There are two Filezilla's. There is Filezilla Server and Filezilla Client

For FTP, you must have a server running an FTP Server software like Filezilla Server.

Filezilla Server you just install, and it runs. Heres a screenshot of what it looks like...you can also see the IP address of my server internally is 192.168.1.204

image.thumb.png.ef734f0a51a03bac430c273340c43ebf.png

So to access the files on this server from another PC, I use Filezilla Client

In the Host I enter the IP address of my server which is 192.168.1.204. This IP address is on my local network, so will only work from a PC on my home network. 

image.png.e845776cbc866423a8f902c3a763d271.png

If your server is running Windows this is how you find your Internal IP address: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4026518/windows-10-find-your-ip-address

You also need to make sure you allow Port 21 or FileZilla Server through the Firewall on your server.

Once it's working internally, then you have to look at Port Forwarding on your router and your external IP address for external access (outside of your home)

image.png.32a821f16469be85d86dde6df54e7aa3.png

image.png.349a9442996ede9871aee5a9aa51942a.png

1 hour ago, Ziondaman said:

image.png.32a821f16469be85d86dde6df54e7aa3.png

image.png.349a9442996ede9871aee5a9aa51942a.png

Why are you trying to connect FileZilla Server to a remote IP? 

Your "FileZilla Server" should be connected to localhost, like this

image.png.85f6f846f204d37e2341ca3ae20b3b73.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Why are you trying to connect FileZilla Server to a remote IP? 

Your "FileZilla Server" should be connected to localhost, like this

image.png.85f6f846f204d37e2341ca3ae20b3b73.png

10 hours ago, Ziondaman said:

You need to read the manual. 

FTP you need to set a home directory, and create user/password for people to login with.

You could also create anonymous access but you need to make sure its secured properly. e.g jailed to a directory and read only

You can test connecting to it using Filezilla Client. Once its working internally then you can forward Port 21 on your router, to the IP address of the PC with Filezilla Server. 

12 hours ago, Ziondaman said:

I can guarantee with more than 1 PC you have a router. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

thx 
finely fix it and i tested it 
and it works thx for the help