Computer Randomly Reboots During Normal Usage

amaizyng

Occasionally, my computer will suddenly shutdown and restart. The screen goes blank, but the fans and lights stay on. Then, the computer reboots. I do not receive any error messages. This has happened 3 times so far. The first 2 times this happened, I was watching a movie through a Discord stream. The third time, I was browsing the internet and Facebook. The room was comfortably cool for all occurrences.

I thought this could be due to high temps, but I've added another fan (3 in, 3 out) and upgraded from my stock CPU cooler to a Noctua U12S. GPU has unobstructed airflow. Outcoming air is only a little bit warmer than the surrounding air.

1. Does anyone know what is going on?
2. How can I make this issue reappear?
3. How do I fix it?

Specs-

Mobo: MSi Pro B550-A
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600

Storage: 1TB NVMe WD Blue
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 5600XT Gaming OC

PSU: Corsair TX550M Gold (550W)

Case: Antec DF600

Wifi Module: TP-Link Archer T4E
SMBIOS: Ver 2.8

The only part that has been overclocked is the RAM. I changed it to 3600 because of the 2133 limit. I would un-overclock it, but this problem has not been predictable so I wouldn't know for sure if it solved the problem.

6 minutes ago, amaizyng said:

Occasionally, my computer will suddenly shutdown and restart. The screen goes blank, but the fans and lights stay on. Then, the computer reboots. I do not receive any error messages. This has happened 3 times so far. The first 2 times this happened, I was watching a movie through a Discord stream. The third time, I was browsing the internet and Facebook. The room was comfortably cool for all occurrences.

I thought this could be due to high temps, but I've added another fan (3 in, 3 out) and upgraded from my stock CPU cooler to a Noctua U12S. GPU has unobstructed airflow. Outcoming air is only a little bit warmer than the surrounding air.

1. Does anyone know what is going on?
2. How can I make this issue reappear?
3. How do I fix it?

Specs-

Mobo: MSi Pro B550-A
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600

Storage: 1TB NVMe WD Blue
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 5600XT Gaming OC

PSU: Corsair TX550M Gold (550W)

Case: Antec DF600

Wifi Module: TP-Link Archer T4E
SMBIOS: Ver 2.8

The only part that has been overclocked is the RAM. I changed it to 3600 because of the 2133 limit. I would un-overclock it, but this problem has not been predictable so I wouldn't know for sure if it solved the problem.

Random reboots can indeed be due to unstable RAM overclock (XMP for example). My PC did so with XMP until I manually set some of the timings.

9 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Random reboots can indeed be due to unstable RAM overclock (XMP for example). My PC did so with XMP until I manually set some of the timings.

How do I know what to manually set the timings to?

22 minutes ago, amaizyng said:

How do I know what to manually set the timings to?

On my Asus B450 boards BIOS I have a tab labeled SPD where stock, XMP1 and XMP 2 timings are listed. If MSI have something similar I don't know. Trfc timings had to be adjusted on my machine (Trfc from around 300 to a little over 500, Trfc2 and 4 also had to be loosened.

On 10/4/2020 at 3:25 AM, aDoomGuy said:

On my Asus B450 boards BIOS I have a tab labeled SPD where stock, XMP1 and XMP 2 timings are listed. If MSI have something similar I don't know. Trfc timings had to be adjusted on my machine (Trfc from around 300 to a little over 500, Trfc2 and 4 also had to be loosened.

I think I know where to do it for my mobo, but what timings should I be setting my RAM to? should I be going up? down? 500?

11 hours ago, amaizyng said:

I think I know where to do it for my mobo, but what timings should I be setting my RAM to? should I be going up? down? 500?

Tighting brings values down, loosing brings up. You want to loosen. Try 550 for Trfc and see if it helps.

15 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Tighting brings values down, loosing brings up. You want to loosen. Try 550 for Trfc and see if it helps.

Okay, I looked at my BIOS and it says my tRFC is 631 (auto) while my tRFC2 was almost 500 (left at Auto) and my tRFC4 was 289 which I bumped up to 300. I don't know if that will help, but is there any input you have for this? If not that's cool too

11 hours ago, amaizyng said:

Okay, I looked at my BIOS and it says my tRFC is 631 (auto) while my tRFC2 was almost 500 (left at Auto) and my tRFC4 was 289 which I bumped up to 300. I don't know if that will help, but is there any input you have for this? If not that's cool too

Alright. Try set those values manually also check that the other timings listed is set according to the list. If that doesn't help try bumping values up.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:00 AM, aDoomGuy said:

Alright. Try set those values manually also check that the other timings listed is set according to the list. If that doesn't help try bumping values up.

So far, so good, but I'm not going to know if anything's wrong until using it for a while. Thanks a lot for your help!

22 minutes ago, amaizyng said:

So far, so good, but I'm not going to know if anything's wrong until using it for a while. Thanks a lot for your help!

You're welcome! :)