> 8GB RAM

It wasn't too long ago before the general consumer needed just 4GB of RAM. Now that 8GB is pretty much the standard how long do you guys think until we'll jump to 12, or even 16GB? (ahem 100 google chrome tabs lmao...)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

soon?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm actually planning on getting another 8 gig kit, I want a ramdisk pretty badly.

Woo!

I think 16GB is now the norm. BF4 already requires 8GB.

A year ago games requires 4GB. We had 8, just to be safe.

Now with BF4, 16GB is now the norm.

I think 16GB is now the norm. BF4 already requires 8GB.

A year ago games requires 4GB. We had 8, just to be safe.

Now with BF4, 16GB is now the norm.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Steam HW survey disagrees :P

d2f7404f8af71d78731894664cf6477c.png

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I'd say in a year or two it will be the norm.  I'm an average user who does heavy browsing(as you mentioned, TONS of tabs open).  I can hit 6-7gb pretty easily on my iMac right now with no gaming.  I'll be building a PC with 16gb for that reason.

One of the things that bothers me is when people say you won't need more than 8gb if you don't do any video editing.  The problem with that is not everyone uses a computer the same way.  8gb is definitely enough for most but 16gb is also a good number for some too--and that's even if they don't do editing and what have you.  16gb allows you to move around your computer in a natural way without having to close down anything to free up memory while taking your attention away from whatever task you're doing.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I use a minimum of 32GB in my desktops and servers. 16 GB fills up quickly with the work that I do.

If youre just playing games and web browsing, then 8GB will probably be ok for another year or so.

I am fine with 4gb (3.5 usable)...

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I think it will take a while for 8GB+ to be needed. In the industry of gaming, I think we are pretty much 'bottle necked' by what the consoles can perform since most games are made for the console. Until the age of console gaming dies or until the next generation of consoles 8GB should pretty much be fine.

I need 12GB/16GB soon because I use 3d programs and they like to eat up ram.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I put 16gb in mine, and wouldn't think about going any lower.

I would rather have more than what I need rather than not have enough.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Hopefully 16GB sticks around for a while *cough* mini itx *cough cough*