2600k + Asus B75M-PLUS + 16GB Corsair RAM

Hello,

my friend just got an offer from one of his friends: An i7 2600k + Asus B75M-PLUS + 16GB Corsair 1600MHz RAM for 250€.

I know that this is a good deal, but is it still worth to invest money in Socket LGA 1155 and a CPU that is 3 years old?

Right now he uses 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, an AMD Phenom 2 x4 and a cheap am3 mainboard, so it would defenitely be an upgrade.

He plays a lot of videogames and he also does some rendering stuff (only as a hobby).

So the question is: What do you guys think, is it still worth? Does its make sense for gaming? Are there better options out there? (For the same price obviously, I know that an i7 4770k and a maximus 6 extreme is better xD)

Thanks a lot in advance!,

Daniel

(Sry for my bad english, I am not a native speaker)

yea its a upgrade but what are you using if for if your only gaming sell 8gb (try making some money off that) and use the other 8 thats all you will need 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The 2600k is still a beast. The issue is that mobo and the B75 chipset. I don't think you can overclock on that mobo and you would really want to overclock the 2600k to get it up to run top of its game for another few years. In saying that I still think its a good deal and even at stock 3.6GHz it will still whoop ass compared to what you already have. Look at prices of second hand mobo (Z68 or Z77) to allow you to overclock it.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Thats a pretty good deal. Even if LGA1155 is a dead socket, it doesn't necessarily mean that getting those chips are bad. Theres a pretty small boost from 2600k to 4770k. Plus, even with the refresh the 4770k to the next good processor for that chipset will be too small a boost to matter in my opinion.

the chip is still really good, but you cant overclock on that motherboard, thats a shame, because on sandy bridge you could probably get 4.8ghz on air

2600k's are still good chips. There's not been that much improvement for the past few generations, at least for desktops.

If I remember rightly Luke (@Slick) still runs a 2600k.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Yeah I know, the mobo is bad :(

But now I know I can recommend him to accept the deal. Maybe he can get a cheap z Mainboard from ebay as you guys recommended :) !

Yeah I know, the mobo is bad :(

But now I know I can recommend him to accept the deal. Maybe he can get a cheap z Mainboard from ebay as you guys recommended :) !

sounds a bit on the expensive side to me with that motherboard 180 with 8gb of ram would be more like it. 220 with 16gb of ram at the most but it won't benefit you

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

My 2600k does 4.8ghz @ under 80*c on the cheap MSI-G43 z77 mobo and basic Hyper212 cooler with a single fan & I could do better with better.

A lot better than its stock performance and has no signs of needing replacement for quite some time.

Great CPU, great performance, and if you can get it for a great price, you will not be disappoint.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz